• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moderate/Heavy Snow Possible Tuesday/Wednesday 01/12-01/13

dryslot

Just drove over the spine of the Southern Greens 15 mins ago coming home it was solid SN..maybe a quick half inch was down with roads covered and somewhat limited VIS. Just got home and looks like maybe .2 or .3 at my place in the valley.   Dim sun shining through as per radar there is a break to the south.

Currently just OVC

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet. Why did NWS have to mess with their website so much? Trying to look at probabilistic snowfall and all you get now is a small little pop-up map. I want a more detailed one like we used to have. Has it moved again?

http://www.weather.gov/gyx/winter

Probably just a computer algorithm thing, but that updated "most likely" map has expanded the 8-12" area westward to include my place :santa:  and Farmington.  However, the odds shown for Farmington getting 8"+ have dropped from over 60% to 49%.   No complaints - anything 6"+ here is a win.

For those about to rock...

So it's been 37 years since I'd seen lightning in January, and now it will happen twice in 48 hours?  :weenie:  :weenie:

1/28/10 Redux

That was the last real snowsquall we've had here.  As long as the subsequent weeks aren't similar.  Those 20 minutes of SN+ were winter's death rattle here, leading into Feb-Mar-Apr nearly as much AN as was last month, including one run of 46 consecutive AN days.

So BUF...

25036G56KT 1/8SM +TSSN BLSN...OCNL LTGICCG NE-OHD-SW

Wow!  Surprised they can see even 1/8 mile in that.

A late blooming southern stream storm is impacting cape cod with snow right now a heavier band is moving through now

You should start a thread for it.

The latest HRRR seems more favorable for the western edge of the blooming precip shield fwiw, the second line is farther east but also out of its range.

Wow when the ocean dynamics get injected.....radar looks good but why the gap between the snow breaking out toward w ME border and the snow just coming into VT?

Probably just sampling issues as the beam is angled slightly. Plus WAA is just starting to get going, so these should only fill in with time.

I mean this is a squall line like you'd see in the summer. Check out what went through BUF. That's basically a rear inflow jet forming behind the line and evaporating some of the precip. Widespread area of 50 knots behind that.

This is a dynamic vort max.

attachicon.gifKBUF_1808z.png

ALY put a special weather statement just for these squalls later today.  Should be fun.

Probably just a computer algorithm thing, but that updated "most likely" map has expanded the 8-12" area westward to include my place :santa: and Farmington. However, the odds shown for Farmington getting 8"+ have dropped from over 60% to 49%. No complaints - anything 6"+ here is a win.

For those about to rock...

So it's been 37 years since I'd seen lightning in January, and now it will happen twice in 48 hours? :weenie::weenie:

Is it possible to have the map depict Lakes and rivers?

I would think that's a good sign for here later

It's possible.  They did wet bulb down when the precip hit.  As long as the warm layer is shallow enough it's possible the rain is short-lived and we don't advect any more warmth aloft before the onset of precip on this southerly flow we have going on. 

I mean this is a squall line like you'd see in the summer. Check out what went through BUF. That's basically a rear inflow jet forming behind the line and evaporating some of the precip. Widespread area of 50 knots behind that.

This is a dynamic vort max.

attachicon.gifKBUF_1808z.png

Certainly some lake-enhancement involved there, though.  Still quite unstable with respect to the lake along wsw winds.  

Archived