Attention all NYC Subforum Members  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NYC subforum merge with:

• Philly Subforum
    • Upstate NY Subforum
    • Both subforums
    • Neither subforum

It's being discussed.

This forum (as a whole) is way too big for that (a complete merger b/w DCA-BOS).  During a big event, the model threads would be a disaster...not to mention the obvious climo differences.....poster A would be rooting on a Miller B that misses Philly and poster B from Boston would be cheering it on.... I voted neither, like others said, if it ain't broke why fix it..... but 2nd choice would be Philly and NYC due to geographic proximity and the lack of posters in the Philly one. 

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it makes sense to merge all into a Northeast Sub-forum. For one, it gives those that live away from the big cities a greater sense of identity.

The problems are going to arise when part of 95 gets slammed while other parts get shafted. Imagine the bickering and nonsense when DCA-BWI-PHL get all rain while NYC and Boston get feet of snow, or if DCA gets feet of Snow while NYC is smoking cirrus.

It can work, as long as the mods continue to do a great job, and those of us regulars can all police ourselves.

If subforums are gonna be merged then it should be done based off geographic reasons and not " he/she averages more snow than me so I don't want them here". Here in the NW we are geographically part of the tri-state area but our winter climate is more consistent with SNE but that shouldn't mean we should be merged with the NE/Upstate forums now. That's absurd.

While an infrequent poster myself, I have noticed the more city centric posts generally out weigh those of us in the north and west; thus the creation of a northwest sub thread. I tend to think adding in Philly may lead to further sub threads being created defeating the intended purpose. For that reason I would refrain from merging.

I am opposed to any sort of merger. I visit the different subforums to see what is going on in my region as well as others'. It is easy to differentiate between regions and forecasts. When I want to discuss wx for Philly, I find it a hassle to have to sift thru hundreds of posts from other regions like in the past. Sure, the Philly forum is quiet overall but at least I know exactly where to go to discuss Philly weather and find other reports.

Merged subforums lead to nothing but miscommunications, misunderstandings, bickering, arguing, confusion, and a whole lotta butthurt for some members.

Sent from my LG-V410

I find it easier, since the split, to go to the different forums when I want to see what's what in a particular area.  I don't want a first page that's so active it takes forever to go through it to see what's relevant and what isn't.

If subforums are gonna be merged then it should be done based off geographic reasons and not " he/she averages more snow than me so I don't want them here". Here in the NW we are geographically part of the tri-state area but our winter climate is more consistent with SNE but that shouldn't mean we should be merged with the NE/Upstate forums now. That's absurd.

That and our lives here are more intertwined with the metro area than anywhere else.  

A Philly merger makes sense climatologically speaking, there's little reason for Philly and NYC to be separate. Upstate/PA is iffy, I fear it would get lost in the mix of the high volume of NYC/Philly area posts, although other sub forums seem to get along just fine.

I'd put Upstate/PA with NYC/Philly before I put it with New England though, it'd complete the Northern Mid-Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA) trinity. Or maybe an expanded Mid-Atlantic sub forum, encompassing the entire Mid-Atlantic region.

Some of our subforums take up large sections of the country. Take a look.

Do they have the same volume of posts/posters though? (serious question)

I completely agree with Forky. This board clearly has the highest quality of posters (i.e. most mets and veteran posters), but I think that other boards, like americanwx.com, are set up better with their subforums.

For those concerned about differences in climo - the difference between Stove, VT and Boston is significantly greater than the difference between Philly and Boston. The med-long range pattern interests of SNE and Philly are essentially the same, and we can create more localized threads for short-term threats/disco. If you can have Maine and Cape Cod in the same subforum, you can have Philly, NYC and Boston in the same subforum.

I liked the old way when it was easternwx with no subforums

Agree with this post. I have been a member on the board(s) for over 10 years and while I rarely post, I read every day. When everyone from DC-BOS was in one forum, the threads used to be epic and it was a constant flow of information (from all areas). 

At a minimum, merge Philly back into the NYC forum. But ideally, have all the Northeast in one forum like it used to be.

Those of us in Central Jersey would appreciate the merger just so we didn't have to post in two separate forums during snowstorms giving updates.   :thumbsup: We may be in the NYC metro area, but are also part of the Philly/Mt. Holly NWS zone. However, the only problem merging though as some have mentioned, is the fact that there will most likely be cry babies who will start WW3 over the fact that they may miss out on snow or get rain with a particular storm while others get slammed.  :ee:  

Those of us in Central Jersey would appreciate the merger just so we didn't have to post in two separate forums during snowstorms giving updates. :thumbsup: We may be in the NYC metro area, but are also part of the Philly/Mt. Holly NWS zone. However, the only problem merging though as some have mentioned, is the fact that there will most likely be cry babies who will start WW3 over the fact that they may miss out on snow or get rain with a particular storm while others get slammed. :ee:

Actually the biggest issue is during the play by plays. Way east, no it's west, warmer, colder. Looks great, says the person at the coast ignoring the interior who got shafted. Unfortunately that happens already in each subforum, so not sure combining will make it worse

Actually the biggest issue is during the play by plays. Way east, no it's west, warmer, colder. Looks great, says the person at the coast ignoring the interior who got shafted. Unfortunately that happens already in each subforum, so not sure combining will make it worse

Again this is all stuff that can be moderated and adjusted by anyone that is doing a PbP. In all honesty I can almost guarantee during a huge 12z euro run before a snowstorm all 6 philly posters are in the sne or NYC forum...If the imby fighting starts it can be moderated, we survived 09-10 together no problem...

As of right now, I don't think merging the NYC sub-forum with the New England sub-forum would be a good idea. Philly/Upstate would be much easier. 

The two areas can vary quite a bit weather-wise and I think that each sub-forum has survived nicely on its own until recently. I'm not sure if the "quality of posts" issue is something caused by people not posting as frequently (which definitely seems to be true since I joined six plus years ago) or something as deep as a need to mix everyone back together to drown out the noise. 

Hypothetically, if I had to read a storm thread where Boston was getting two feet of wind-driven snow and everyone in the NYC metro was getting a cold rain, you would probably see a ton of angry NYC posters, cluttering things up and the quality of posts would go down regardless of moderation. It's just one of those things that could generate even more problems. 

I've sort of gotten used to the NYC sub-forum with all the climo, posters, and everyone's personalities, and it doesn't seem like it would be easy for people to just go back to a merged Northeast forum again. 

However, maybe we could run a beta Northeast-merged thread (or any variant) just to see how it would go without really changing all that much? I would be fine with that 

Archived