1. 1. Should the NYC subforum merge with:

• Philly Subforum
    • Upstate NY Subforum
    • Both subforums
    • Neither subforum

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sine Bx gave his opinion, I'll give mine. I'm also not a huge fan of merging unless it's a Northeast subforum. I just feel like we need a little something extra to make this a better, more desirable subforum to post in. This is my personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to one. Please keep discussing.

Sine Bx gave his opinion, I'll give mine. I'm also not a huge fan of merging unless it's a Northeast subforum. I just feel like we need a little something extra to make this a better, more desirable subforum to post in. This is my personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to one. Please keep discussing.

I think with the philly forum alone it will be a huge help just to get some more discussion. We lost a good amount of quality posters from the forum over the past two years to other sites, not saying we don't have some now but just not the amounts of posts...

I started reading this board mostly because it focused on the NYC area specifically. I'll check out the other subsections to see what the "good" posters have to say. But other than that, I wouldn't want to see a thread with a bunch of people from DC to Maine posting about a storm. Just not relevant to our area.

It wouldnt be dc to Maine..it would be DE to hudson valley

1. Maps

2. Maps

3. Maps

That's the solution to make the place better.

Maps are candy to a weather junkie.

Also, when other places implode during events, and this place remains calm, it will be a bonus.

I am very opposed to a merger with New England.

I go there every other day to read a little what's going on there.

This subforum will be way too active and hard to follow with a merger. Yes, I read every single post.

Our weather isn't even comparable to any degree.

The reason why the western subforum works is that most of the year they have zero to follow. California, the largest state never has meaningful weather events. It's mostly for tracking tornadoes which usually have outbreaks across several states.

This subforum will be way too active and hard to follow with a merger. Yes, I read every single post.

The reason why the western subforum works is that most of the year they have zero to follow. California, the largest state never has meaningful weather events. It's mostly for tracking tornadoes which usually have outbreaks across several states.

There is no talk of that here...options are merger with philly, upstate ny, both, one or the other, or niether

1. Maps

2. Maps

3. Maps

That's the solution to make the place better.

Maps are candy to a weather junkie.

Also, when other places implode during events, and this place remains calm, it will be a bonus.

I was talking about more quality posts and not talking about other options in the wx world.

You lost me at "the weather in New England isn't comparable to the weather in New York", and you lost me again at "California has no weather events".

I've been on these boards for about 19 years now and that's a crazy thought in itself but I digress. There are pluses and minuses to merging. Back in the days before the splits I had a number of friends who I interacted with on a daily basis. Since the split I know I don't interact with them nearly as much, if at all anymore. That said, there used to be some epic arguments back then when say a poster from the Mid-Atlantic would post that the latest model run shows a good dumping while a poster from New England would ask what the hell they were looking at as the storm was heading out to sea. I don't feel strongly one way or the other though, just pointing those things out.

There's no great need for everybody in your subforum to have the same climate as you, and in the grand scheme of things, the weather in NYC is usually very similar to the weather in Philly and in Boston. There are sharp storm cutoffs and meso/microscale events, sure, but that's true even across the NYC subforum. Long Island feels left out, someone in northern NJ feels overshadowed by Manhattan, and so on. People will argue about perceived imby-ism until street-level subforums are created, so I'm not really persuaded by the argument that climactic differences preclude the formation of one Northeast regional subforum. There's nothing wrong with reading about the weather a few counties or a state away.

Just my initial thoughts... no strong opinion.

Does the vote of an unknowledgeable and avid reader count? If so, then I just want to say that it would be way too darn confusing for someone like me that knows juuust enough to know that I know nothing about geography, airport codes, specific regions/areas other than IMBY or whatever, and I feel that having that many more regions added for me to sift through would make it more challenging for me to do so (again, as a non-pro, unhelpful observer trying to make heads-n-tails of a subject that I enjoy within the limited scope of knowledge thus far). Just saying

merge the first four subforums on the main page and just call it "northeast"

Then you will have what accu has, a huge subforum where it is snowing in Boston, or snowing like hell in Baltimore or even Pitt, and we will be distracted by all the millions of folks and their postings which have NOTHING to do with our subforum or the NYC area.. If anything having LI is even too much. I came here to avoid that; in 2010 I could not get good analysis of this area there because of all the snow weenies in Balt Philly and DC who had not seen a snowflake in years. It would be a big mistake. I don't want to read about Boston and New England snows either. I know Balt and DC are Mid atlantic but they are close enough that they get a lot of the same weather as Philly and I just don't want to waste time reading what might happen there; see, I don't care what it does in DC or Boston or Montauk....or Chicago or Denver or LA.

Does the vote of an unknowledgeable and avid reader count? If so, then I just want to say that it would be way too darn confusing for someone like me that knows juuust enough to know that I know nothing about geography, airport codes, specific regions/areas other than IMBY or whatever, and I feel that having that many more regions added for me to sift through would make it more challenging for me to do so (again, as a non-pro, unhelpful observer trying to make heads-n-tails of a subject that I enjoy within the limited scope of knowledge thus far). Just saying

Sent from my XT1080

I agree 100 % and it is the only reason I come here; you can go to accu forums to see what a mess it creates

Archived