1. 1. Should the NYC subforum merge with:

• Philly Subforum
    • Upstate NY Subforum
    • Both subforums
    • Neither subforum

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we first broke out into the regions we had a Hudson Valley thread in the Upstate forum. 

And that didn't work out well at all because our weather has nothing to do with the weather north of about central Dutchess county (at least on this side of the river.)  We were mostly ignored by the folks further up and had our own discussion because even the Albany NWS office doesn't talk about us at all but the Upton (NYC metro office) does.

Most of you guys would probably consider anything north and west of I95 upstate, ehh, I'll even give you the BX/W'chester line. Reality is like Brian said we are really part of the metro area in many ways including the NWS CWA zones.

That's where it's tough, especially for me, my NWS is Albany, but I'm just as far from Albany as I am NYC, I usually follow Orange counties advisories from Binghamton before listening to my own...

From NYC to the Canadian border straight north on 87, is 342 miles, I'm currently 78 miles north of NYC... Not even close to upstate

That's where it's tough, especially for me, my NWS is Albany, but I'm just as far from Albany as I am NYC, I usually follow Orange counties advisories from Binghamton before listening to my own...

From NYC to the Canadian border straight north on 87, is 342 miles, I'm currently 78 miles north of NYC... Not even close to upstate

Upton has Orange, Binghamton has Sullivan, Albany has Dutchess and Ulster, and Mount Holly has Sussex. We are on the border of everyone. 

Philly w/ NYC....

or 

Philly w/ upstate ny/pa (my home)

I'd say combine w/ NYC is my first choice as it makes most geographic sense, and the weather is not too dissimilar in both regions.

Combining w/ Upstate NY and PA, while close to some of us geographically, is a night and day difference in what philly gets vs state college or buffalo...

Nut

Years ago I met my cousin, who lives out in Suffolk, at MSG for a concert, she couldn't couldn't understand how we each got on the train at home at the same time and got to NYC at the same time since I live "upstate".  

LI folks are funny-they think anything not on LI is a foreign country! 

To be fair 99% of us would probably consider your area to be upstate NY.

And thats the problem.. That is far from reality. If you tell someone in Syracuse that you live "upstate" and actually lived in Newburgh they would look at you like you had something hanging from your head. I lived in the Bronx for 20 years, and anything north of the Cross county is considered "upstate" lol.

Years ago I met my cousin, who lives out in Suffolk, at MSG for a concert, she couldn't couldn't understand how we each got on the train at home at the same time and got to NYC at the same time since I live "upstate".  

The funny thing about all this is that Orange county is closer to Manhattan than 60-70% of Suffolk county yet its considered to far to be in the subforum. It all comes down to the winter climate. Its a completely different world up here compared to the coast and because of that we are isolated. 

Merge Philly into the Mid Atlantic and the far north and west NYC burbs into Upstate NY and PA.

Lets say if you are north and west of NYC and your seasonal average 81-10 snowfall

is over 40 inches, you can vote to merge with Upstate NY and PA forum. Roughly any areas

north and west of the light red 40 inch line.

According to many lurkers in both subforums that would be too hard to follow. Lol.

We all know weather can vary wildly within our our sub-forums. At a minimum I personally think the NYC/Philly Forums should merge. I could also see the PA/Upstate NY sub-forum merged in as well to create a Tri-State sub-forum.  It would be similar to New England with the 6 states. At that point members can create threads as they see fit to their locale.  We've had a NNE thread in ours for years now since they're climate is different than SNE.

Archived