joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really just the start of the pattern though. Sometimes it takes time to get results from a better pattern. I'll be surprised if we don't get a good snowstorm at some point in mid to late January. 

That's true. I gave up way too early last January and look what happened. I believe we also went through this also last January where we missed out on some storms in early to mid January before that big storm at the end of the month.

Going to say it now. My forecast for February may be in real big trouble. A very strong MJO wave is forecasted to take shape in the IO by the beginning of February. If forcing really does end up back there, my cold/snowy February idea is in very serious jeopardy. Not ready to say my idea was wrong yet but the turn of events is bad. Link: https://mobile.twitter.com/anthonywx/status/686311976696414208

Going to say it now. My forecast for February may be in real big trouble. A very strong MJO wave is forecasted to take shape in the IO by the beginning of February. If forcing really does end up back there, my cold/snowy February idea is in very serious jeopardy. Not ready to say my idea was wrong yet but the turn of events is bad. Link: https://mobile.twitter.com/anthonywx/status/686311976696414208

Dr Cohen confirmed, yesterday, an SSWE is beginning in 10 days on all the models. What will that mean for your forecast, Warmy?

what will be the effect of a strong MJO on the weather of our area? Im new to this just trying to understand.. Thanks.

Usually, ridging develops in the East and often nationwide a few days after the MJO moves into Phase 2. Currently, it's in Phase 8, but numerous models including the ECMWF and GFS forecast that it will move into Phase 2 in around 5 days. The models sometimes have a tendency to be too quick in advancing the MJO, but the agreement concerning Phase 2 is of concern even if the timing is off by a day or two.

This could be the worst producing epic pattern of all time. Up to an inch from a clipper Tuesday night might just be the highlight of the epic pattern, the jury is still out on whether or not the January 17-18 system will produce for us. However, with a primary low in the Great Lakes, it is going to be darn near impossible unless a secondary can develop around OBX and intensify rapidly. Models are not showing this scenario at this juncture. Not sure who it was that claimed the Jan 18 system was well ots, but since the surface low (primary) is clearly well West of the area, Im not sure exactly how one can claim victory at this being ots....unless u were referring to the weak surface reflection along the stationary/warm front that is progged to be off the coast? Which is something different....apples and oranges.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

This could be the worst producing epic pattern of all time. Up to an inch from a clipper Tuesday night might just be the highlight of the epic pattern, the jury is still out on whether or not the January 17-18 system will produce for us. However, with a primary low in the Great Lakes, it is going to be darn near impossible unless a secondary can develop around OBX and intensify rapidly. Models are not showing this scenario at this juncture. Not sure who it was that claimed the Jan 18 system was well ots, but since the surface low (primary) is clearly well West of the area, Im not sure exactly how one can claim victory at this being ots....unless u were referring to the weak surface reflection along the stationary/warm front that is progged to be off the coast? Which is something different....apples and oranges.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Not every great pattern will produce on the first storm. It might be the second or third or fourth. Patience. Anyway, it's still way too early to know what's going to happen with this storm.

Incorrect. He confirmed the GFS is showing one beginning at d10. It IS actually being modeled on all models and is no longer speculation. They may be wrong, but is highly unlikely.

A 372-hour stratospheric forecast is very high risk. If I recall correctly, last winter saw 3 or 4 calls for SSWs from that range on the GFS. Last winter saw only a moderate warming event that fell short of a true SSW during which the zonal winds reverse.

The pattern isnt living up to its potential. Really sucks.

On most of the models it is not living up to it's potential YET ! I think many of us get ahead of ourselves thinking it's much later in the month -- it's only January 11 !!! So far this year is playing out just like last year on January 11 - there wasn't much hope and we all know the rest of the story of what happened the rest of last winter. As for the GFS model - shouldn't consider it past 84 hours IMO.

Archived