Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

JC for real man

I still roll with idea that           for real...

run the 250mb and 500mb  vorts loops here

from the ENS----EPS GEPS GEFS

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

stills for the 18th

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_9.pnggem-ens_z500a_us_33.png

gfs-ens_z500a_us_33.png

gfs-ens_uv250_us_33.png

looks like a consensus to me

then tell me what you think....

It looks to me like I won't need to gas up the snowblower after all....

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only one member goes positive for the ao forecast...

that's not a bad look, I think he was talking about the OP though. Either way, I'd be wary of super quick breakdowns in blocking, models tend to rush and/or exaggerate the extent of it. No one is canceling winter, but things don't look as rosy as they did just a few days ago (I guess it can just as easily go back to that)

Okay lets all cancel winter on January 10.

I pretty much did once we had a string of days in the 60's in Dec and a tomato seedling was growing IMBY, but I defer to others here with more knowledge than me. I comfort myself knowing that most people out there are overjoyed at this winter so far. Remember, we weenies are an anomaly....

THINK BEFORE YOU POST. Please. If you cant take the time to post correct information, explain yourself/position clearly, or be bothered to acknowledge when someone corrects information you posted instead of moving on like nothing happened, it might be time to take a little break from here. the disingenuous stuff has to stop.

I see it but how do you know it will be the same look next week.

We don't ...

but Anthony please

look a bit harder at the info posted ATM

surface reflections a week out ....I will PASS

The 500mb and 200mb  patterns from the ENS today are lock step   PERIOD 

sliders off the coast is my vibe 

JC for real man

I still roll with idea that for real...

run the 250mb and 500mb vorts loops here

from the ENS----EPS GEPS GEFS

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

stills for the 18th

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_9.pnggem-ens_z500a_us_33.png

gfs-ens_z500a_us_33.png

gfs-ens_uv250_us_33.png

looks like a consensus to me

then tell me what you think....

I don't see consensus at all tbh. I see a lot of differences in timing, wave spacing and strength, and a heck of a lot of spread in the individual GEFS and GEPS members. I see surface reflections in the means of all three ensembles around or inside the benchmark 24 hours earlier than the charts you posted. So I guess I don't get it?

Steve D made a good point. The clipper on Tuesday is going to determine the faith of next weekends storm. The clipper is going to turn into a 50 50 low

I mentioned that in this thread this morning. There is A LOT going on here, it's complicated. It's going to take a bit for models to figure out. Some folks in here have been saying this all along.

I don't see consensus at all tbh. I see a lot of differences in timing, wave spacing and strength, and a heck of a lot of spread in the individual GEFS and GEPS members. I see surface reflections in the means of all three ensembles around or inside the benchmark 24 hours earlier than the charts you posted. So I guess I don't get it?

then post them...

It would be nice to show us your points graphically

do some work here to back this up 

thanks

tommy e

This storm could snow in Chicago in the middle of the ocean, so it makes no sense to live and die on every OP model run. This storm will look dramatically different by the time that clipper starts to develop, and until it moves off the coast of Maine, then the OP runs are as good as useless. There's too much volatility.

We don't ...

but Anthony please

look a bit harder at the info posted ATM

surface reflections a week out ....I will PASS

The 500mb and 200mb patterns from the ENS today are lock step PERIOD

sliders off the coast is my vibe

Your outcome may be correct...but when I think consensus, I think this:

06df028bc58f19555eac6bf4da8081e4.jpg

Not this.

8000ab00cb5038c5aab249bad1511bcf.jpg

The GFS is so bad that it sends lows over the benchmark when the NAO is positive and the pattern is a hostile but it sends lows to the lakes when there is a 1961 like block. Not necessarily talking about the storm for the 17th but the GFS has been sending almost every fantasy storm to the lakes while the Euro has mostly had them off the SE coast

Your outcome may be correct...but when I think consensus, I think this:

06df028bc58f19555eac6bf4da8081e4.jpg

Not this.

8000ab00cb5038c5aab249bad1511bcf.jpg

JC...my point is not just the individual members inside one ENS (GEFS) for example

I posted the 500mb  charts from all three big guns

to me the projected 500mb  pattern from the ENS --- ATM

says OTS for the 17 -18th threat is a very valid option

The GFS is so bad that it sends lows over the benchmark when the NAO is positive and the pattern is a hostile but it sends lows to the lakes when there is a 1961 like block. Not necessarily talking about the storm for the 17th but the GFS has been sending almost every fantasy storm to the lakes while the Euro has mostly had them off the SE coast

So are we getting the famous -NAO or not? It's getting confusing around here, one day we are getting historic blocking the best ever, then it is transient, then it isn't happening....I just read an expert on another site ( not weather related ) who stated the northeast should expect to remain mild through the winter due to El Nino effects, and this guy was no slouch but a scientist with some atmospheric agency....

In the time I've been on this board, it seems that the 18z GFS is like the crazy uncle you invite to all the family functions because you know, no matter what, he'll get hammered and do something crazy. That said, this winter, so far, is reminding me of a favorite quote from one of the Naked Gun movies: "I wish I could be more confident. It's like sex. It's a painstaking arduous task, and just when you think things are going your way -- nothing happens."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, it really is too early to make a final call on this one. Let's not forget that this one was out to sea on the same model just 24 hours and a few model runs ago. Sure, it was still a sloppy mess at that time as well, but we've been dealing with completely different solutions almost every 6 hours

JC...my point is not just the individual members inside one ENS (GEFS) for example

I posted the 500mb charts from all three big guns

to me the 500mb pattern ATM

says OTS for the 17 -18th threat is a very fair option

The mean is a useful tool for sure, but spread is equally as important. You don't think spread is a relevant factor when declaring "lockstep"?

The mean is a useful tool for sure, but spread is equally as important. You don't think spread is a relevant factor when declaring "lockstep"?

Without sampling... any of our guidance is always a work in progress

I like to stay with the Upper Air trends

they seem to be more stable run to run

Do you see a snowstorm from the way you interpret that guidance??

I don't....

Without sampling... any of our guidance is always a work in progress

I like to stay with the Upper Air trends

they seem to be more stable run to run

Do you see a snowstorm from the way you interpret that guidance??

I don't....

I see uncertainty. 18z GEFS mean looks like a miller c. But it seems very much up in the air with so much energy in the flow.

Archived