• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

I don't agree with the 18z gfs on how this will unfold but my skepticism has grown. We'll know a lot more in a couple days.

The gfs may be interpretating the pattern incorrectly and if so then expect some radical gfs op shifts in the days ahead.

The teleconnections vs what the gfs shows also doesn't add up at all. Very strange solution given the -NAO/AO and +PNA setup.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phase 3 is a cold signal in the east during el ninos. The further into winter, the colder the signal.

873F655B-3633-4268-8551-AA994647FF0A_zps

B84B0234-4542-42A0-9D11-406CC07785AD_zps

765C5122-C32F-4FB5-892C-66F826679A9F_zps

Phase 3 is a cold signal in the east during el ninos. The further into winter, the colder the signal.

873F655B-3633-4268-8551-AA994647FF0A_zps

B84B0234-4542-42A0-9D11-406CC07785AD_zps

765C5122-C32F-4FB5-892C-66F826679A9F_zps

I wouldn't use seasonal significance when you're trying to forecast for sub-seasonal variability.  What an ENSO forced phase 3 does J vs. F have tended to look quite different.  

Another example, warm records are falling right now in the middle of a phase 8, ENSO modulated response.  You wouldn't expect that if you looked at the three month mean.

In our defense, you post an ensemble mean that has a sub 1000 mb storm hugging Cape Cod, and were supposed to construe that as a fast flow/southern slider depiction? I'm starting to think you have a bashing fetish :)

I wouldn't use seasonal significance when you're trying to forecast for sub-seasonal variability. What an ENSO forced phase 3 does J vs. F have tended to look quite different.

Another example, warm records are falling right now in the middle of a phase 8, ENSO modulated response. You wouldn't expect that if you looked at the three month mean.

I was only speaking in the general terms that the original post was about. And i posted the j composite. It was only in reference to "unfavorable phase 3".

In the time I've been on this board, it seems that the 18z GFS is like the crazy uncle you invite to all the family functions because you know, no matter what, he'll get hammered and do something crazy. That said, this winter, so far, is reminding me of a favorite quote from one of the Naked Gun movies: "I wish I could be more confident. It's like sex. It's a painstaking arduous task, and just when you think things are going your way -- nothing happens."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or from Naked Gun after the 18z GFS is done....."Please disperse there's nothing to see here"...."Please disperse there's nothing to see here"....

Epic torch.

c098658b0b56644e2097a8012d3f66cc.jpg

Yep all one had to do today is step out when the clouds broke and temps soared to 66 degrees here today... look up again tropical blue skies.... look up again big puffy thunderheads... hear thunder in the distance and watch the white and dark clouds race NNE northbound with more heat transport to the North Pole to create more blocking Love it  I hope..

I was only speaking in the general terms that the original post was about. And i posted the j composite. It was only in reference to "unfavorable phase 3".

Ah, I see.  Was a little confusing with the circled Phase 8 portion of your charts there.

I like the colder Euro ensembles over the next 15 days .

I would caution / and have opined not to buy any SW in this pattern outside 5 days.

Lots of arguing here over track 7 plus days out. The spread on all of the ensembles are enough to show you a cutter only 24 hours after showing you a shunt.

Both options are just that.

Bundle up.

In our defense, you post an ensemble mean that has a sub 1000 mb storm hugging Cape Cod, and were supposed to construe that as a fast flow/southern slider depiction? I'm starting to think you have a bashing fetish :)

talk to me next week.... #1

I am taking names  and kicking  azz!!!!!   LOL  

9nhwbg_conus.gif

I like the colder Euro ensembles over the next 15 days .

I would caution / and have opined not to buy any SW in this pattern outside 5 days.

Lots of arguing here over track 7 plus days out. The spread on all of the ensembles are enough to show you a cutter only 24 hours after showing you a shunt.

Both options are just that.

Bundle up.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/medr/maxloop.html

where's me gloves... :cliff:

While we bicker about 8 day tracks and who's wrong and right about pattern change, yeah it's changed some but it still stinks, the truth is by the end of the weekend (between now and then looks pretty lifeless in the NYC area) the winter is half over. Who knows what will happen but it's been a downright putrid ski season, snowmobile season, ice skating, ice fishing, holiday weather, currier and yves, snow plowing , storm chasing season. It happens, what can you do, but it's just about halfway over now for the coastal plain and up and down the east it's been as downright ugly as it gets. And I think most would agree they like the front half of winter better than the back, I'll take snow anytime I can get it but it doesn't mean as much in March as it does in December or the new year.

Model volatility is significantly higher than normal right now on large scale pattern influences, let alone small shortwaves.  With that said, I do think the weakening of the block is significant on the Euro Ens and likely MJO induced to a degree.

While we bicker about 8 day tracks and who's wrong and right about pattern change, yeah it's changed some but it still stinks, the truth is by the end of the weekend (between now and then looks pretty lifeless in the NYC area) the winter is half over. Who knows what will happen but it's been a downright putrid ski season, snowmobile season, ice skating, ice fishing, holiday weather, currier and yves, snow plowing , storm chasing season. It happens, what can you do, but it's just about halfway over now for the coastal plain and up and down the east it's been as downright ugly as it gets. And I think most would agree they like the front half of winter better than the back, I'll take snow anytime I can get it but it doesn't mean as much in March as it does in December or the new year.

Right on Brother Right on!!!!

promises promises........another six days away from paydirt 

nsm_depth_2016011005_National.jpg

Archived