joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We definitely aren't there yet but we had several improvements this run.

1) The lead short wave energy was slower, which allowed for more interaction with the trough.

2) Because of the greater interaction with the lead shortwave, the trough was able to dig much further Southeast.

3) The 50/50 low was in a good place, producing blocking in SE Canada. 

If, and that's a big if, we can get the 500mb low to close off over KY, I think we'll be in business.

Our biggest storms usually occur with a large closed 500mb low over KY/TN

gfs_z500_vort_us_20.png

010718.png

021712.png

On the note concerning the less negative AO than earlier forecast, the AO is still forecast to bottom out near -4.000. During El Niño winters, most such cases (>70%) have been followed by a predominantly negative AO in February and nearly half of such cases saw a strongly negative AO (-1.000 or below monthly average). In contrast, most of the La Niña cases saw a predominantly positive AO in February. So, even as I still think that January will wind up on the cool side of normal from mid-month +/- a few days to the end, I also believe February should not be written off, at least not yet.

As I said, it's not a great run but it does have some snow for the interior.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_21.png

The GFS tries to transfer but it doesn't in the end. Strange run. However, this run was much better than 06z. The energy was much further SE, so hopefully that can continue in later runs. Hopefully the GEFS can shed some light on if an early transfer is possible. 

That 500mb map is not bad at all. Shift things a bit S and E in future runs and we might all be in business. Would think with this look and the phasing energy, rapid intensification of a secondary would be a good bet, verbatim.

Yep. That run was pretty close to showing something much more promising. We're still in the game cause we have time on our side. Hope it wasn't a typical GFS model swing but more of a trend in the right direction instead.

Archived