joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd expect a few meltdowns but the majority would accept it (hopefully) and be happy for interior folks.

It is what it is. Until we are able to create a Dr. Who type weather machine, there is little we can do but understand the incredible machine known as mother nature. I wont give up hope till Wednesday, when the Clipper is under our belt and we see how it affects the weekend set up. Maybe the 50/50 sets up stronger than progged. After all the weather very much functions like domino effect,

We need help from the Pac, less phasing in "the west" and the confluence to hold on longer.

The raging STJ needs to slow down or this will keep happening. It is a firehose crashing into any +PNA that forms and it deamplifies everything downstream from the west coast and prevents SWs from digging on the east coast. There is no sign of a letup in the STJ through the end of this month

Atrocious runs today. Blocking never occurred. ENSO 1,1.2 now warming again. Just about that time boys and girls.

ugly. Looking back the blocking seemed over done but now it's barely even there. Needed the Nino to fall apart not hold steady. Maybe we get a lucky storm but I agree we are in big trouble

The 4 days prior are cold and the 4 days after are frigid.

We know it's salt in the wound but the pattern over the next 10 days is cold , but with a cutter.

SW that tilt west of the MISS cut just as the expected blocking escapes at the same time.

There is no warm air in N/A to be found over the next 10 days except in the east for 36 hours as this comes through.

The L/R remains cold .

We know it's salt in the wound but the pattern over the next 10 days is cold , but with a cutter.

SW that tilt west of the MISS cut just as the expected blocking escapes at the same time.

There is no warm air in N/A to be found over the next 10 days except in the east for 36 hours as this comes through.

The L/R remains cold .

even with the mjo going into the warm phases? What keeps us cold?

The raging STJ needs to slow down or this will keep happening. It is a firehose crashing into any +PNA that forms and it deamplifies everything downstream from the west coast and prevents SWs from digging on the east coast. There is no sign of a letup in the STJ through the end of this month

This is help from the Pac I was talking about lol

The L/R remains cold .

It's all wasted cold if the pattern doesn't deliver snow. if that's the case, bring back the December pattern. 

even with the mjo going into the warm phases? What keeps us cold?

I don't even look at MJO forecasts anymore, they have been wrong so often its not even worth bothering with, and sometimes there is a 3-4 week lag too, so even if it changes phases in 10 days it may be almost March before any impact occurs.

When people see a 7SD anomaly forecast for ANYTHING, let alone the AO, they should treat it with incredible suspicion unless it has widespread and sustained confirmation on virtually all modeling.  Don can probably clarify the math, but 7SD means the probability of such an outcome is approximately 1.3x10^-12, which means essentially that it is 0.

Correct.

A few quick things, I'm hesitant to refer to the AO index as denoting standard deviations from the norm. The daily values have been "normed" against monthly values, meaning that one isn't dealing with a true standardized figure. From NCEP:

Each daily value has been standardized by the standard deviation of the monthly AO index from 1979-2000.

I don't have the loading values, so I can't compare means against which the Index's values are measured. However, if one examines the standard deviation for the monthly mean AO Index values for January, one gets 1.598 for the 1979-2000 period. If one examines the standard deviation for the daily AO Index values during January for the same period, one gets a standard deviation of 2.001. That implies that a daily AO Index value of +/- 5.000 is actually less than a +/- 5 sigma departure.

Not surprisingly, even as a true 5 sigma departure would be a roughly 1-in-1.75 million occurrence, there have been 9 values of AO +5.000 or above and 17 AO values of -5.000 during the January 1950-2015 timeframe (2,045 dates).

That's why, for example, even as the probability of a 5 sigma deviation (above or below the mean) is about 1-in-1.75 million, one has seen far more such values during the 1950-2015 period than implied by that figure.

Not having the loading values, I suspect that one can approximate the actual standardized figures for January by dividing the AO Index's daily value by about 2.05.

AO01112016_3.jpg

Archived