• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

Track does not necessarily equal precipitation type, this clipper on Tuesday will track well northwest of us. If the antecedent cold air is not there, it doesn't matter which way from Sunday it tracks.

it is more complicated then that....I want him to tell me what the track is and how it differs from the other models

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is more complicated then that....I want him to tell me what the track is and how it differs from the other models

If I'm not mistaken the LP west of us surges warm air into the northern MA, and south, and by the storm transfers near MD, the LP is way up in Michigan. We need the storm to transfer faster. Hopefully the trends everyone is seeing is for a faster transfer.

Friv, is that you hanging out in the NYC Met Banter forum? I'm pretty sure it is. I live up here now (well for 3 years now). Send us some snow man!

:). Back at ya. January 11th. Have seen two traces of snow so far.

Biggest issue so far besides December being a torch.

The antecedent airmasses have been to warm with these marginal system tracks.

Although the most recent system went from a closed LT system bringing the CCB and trowel to an open wave on the models less than 24 hours out.

Models showed 3-7" with many 6-12" runs ended up with a trace.

:). Back at ya. January 11th. Have seen two traces of snow so far.

Biggest issue so far besides December being a torch.

The antecedent airmasses have been to warm with these marginal system tracks.

Although the most recent system went from a closed LT system bringing the CCB and trowel to an open wave on the models less than 24 hours out.

Models showed 3-7" with many 6-12" runs ended up with a trace.

It's pretty typical of a strong El Niño you won't be seeing any 2004 or 1989 Arctic outbreaks anytime soon. Many people don't realize 09-10 was heavily skewed as well by 2 storms, if you take those 2 out many places only get 20-30 inches that winter which is basically normal

If I'm not mistaken the LP west of us surges warm air into the northern MA, and south, and by the storm transfers near MD, the LP is way up in Michigan. We need the storm to transfer faster. Hopefully the trends everyone is seeing is for a faster transfer.

Check out my earlier post with the map showing the 500mb set up - trough starts going negative before Miss. River - phases to early pumping up the heights in the east - cold air seems to not have a strong enough block to lock it in further south past New England......high pressure is not strong enough to the north combination of all these factors IF that model is correct...by the way JB says it is wrong......

Check out my earlier post with the map showing the 500mb set up - trough starts going negative before Miss. River - phases to early pumping up the heights in the east - cold air seems to not have a strong enough block to lock it in further south past New England......high pressure is not strong enough to the north combination of all these factors IF that model is correct...by the way JB says it is wrong......

Yes, I see. DT noted this out on Saturday, and was posted in the Weather Forecasting forum. He may be a scumbag, but he sure knows his stuff.

Larry Cosgrove

The strong coastal will take the main energy from the advancing low on Friday night near the Virginia Capes. This system has a shot at getting snow into the I-95 corridor above the Mason-Dixon Line. Might not be much, but I would watch the area above New York City for a quick run at mayhem on Saturday with wind and ice/snow changeover.

every day we don't get measurable snow it ties a record for the least amount of snow since the season started...latest inch goes to 1997-98 with 5.0" on 3/22...1918-19 also has 3/22 for the first 1" snowfall...only 1999-2000 is a la nina year...the rest are el nino years...1972-73 holds the record for the latest measurable snowfall on 1/29/73...

least...

1/09/2007.....0

1/10/2015/2007/1973/2000/1966.. trace

1/19/2000/73/66...trace

1/28/1973.....trace

1/29/1995.....0.2"

2/04/1998.....0.5"

3/22/1919.....2.4"

3/28/1973.....2.8" to end..

Baseball is the best . Basketball,hockey and football are boring. I rather watch Texas Holdem and Bowling than those sports.

Ask yourself which American sports are followed much by the rest of the world....I'll wait. Heck, I'll just tell you. Here are the world's most popular sports: 1, hands down, football ( also called soccer in a few countries, which irks the English to no end, even tho they invented the name ) 2. Cricket ( the only game you can rightfully argue is more boring than baseball ). 3. Rugby ( there are different types ) 4 Basketball, and 5 baseball.... then there are regional sports like NFL, Aussie rules, Canadian football, sumo wrestling and so on. Interestingly, the Dutch have had a baseball league for a long time, though it is not very good and it takes a huge back seat to football, Holland being the best team that never won a World Cup.

Ask yourself which American sports are followed much by the rest of the world....I'll wait. Heck, I'll just tell you. Here are the world's most popular sports: 1, hands down, football ( also called soccer in a few countries, which irks the English to no end, even tho they invented the name ) 2. Cricket ( the only game you can rightfully argue is more boring than baseball ). 3. Rugby ( there are different types ) 4 Basketball, and 5 baseball.... then there are regional sports like NFL, Aussie rules, Canadian football, sumo wrestling and so on. Interestingly, the Dutch have had a baseball league for a long time, though it is not very good and it takes a huge back seat to football, Holland being the best team that never won a World Cup.

In the US #1 & #2 most popular sports are football & baseball.. Nascar is more popular than basketball. 

Actually it's NASCAR

The strength of this Nino sucks, even a regular strong Nino would've been better than this monster.

I'm also not convinced it flips to a Nina by next winter and we have to take into account lagging, which could actually make next winter quite active.

I agree with that, the STJ has shown it can be active in Niña winters following either moderate or strong Niños or 2-3 consecutive winters that were weak el Niños. I don't think next winter will be as strong of a La Niña as 98-99 or 10-11 were it may be more 83-84 like

Actually it's NASCAR

I'm talking about on the rest of the planet as a whole. NASCAR isn't followed there, the preferred race is Formula One. Baseball is far down the list and NFL is really not played due to its having to compete with other more established games like soccer and rugby. Due to the US's isolation it developed its own sports culture at a time when the British were spreading soccer and Cricket across the globe. Nonetheless the Americans managed to spread baseball to Japan, Holland, and parts of the Caribbean and Latin America. Basketball was adopted by some Eastern Bloc countries ( along with hockey, a Canadian sport, to some extent ) and owes its spread to some truly legendary athletes like Jordan, Byrd and Johnson among others. Both soccer and cricket were more popular in the past in the US, though soccer has regained some momentum thanks to some decent players like Donovan and some success in recent World Cups, but it probably will never challenge the Germans or Brazilians any time soon...now back to the weather, baseball being one of the few sports where you can't play in the rain....and this winter has been so boring we are going on about sports because we haven't had a thing to shovel yet....

I can care less whats followed in Zimbabwe.. Football, baseball, college football are the top 3 in this country. All in that order too..

I actually don't follow sports much, but find the social and cultural aspects of sports to be interesting. Living in our area with so many cultures, I have found it pays to know a little bit about a country's sports teams. Knowing who Pirlo, Rooney, and Ronaldo are brings instant connection. Many people the world over follow the EPL. It's not that they won't watch the Superbowl, but they have grown up with other sports they are passionate about. I have found that as a rule Americans are not that passionate about their national teams, witness the disinterest in the World Basketball Championship or the Baseball World Classic, which are taken much more seriously by other countries.  

Usually, ridging develops in the East and often nationwide a few days after the MJO moves into Phase 2. Currently, it's in Phase 8, but numerous models including the ECMWF and GFS forecast that it will move into Phase 2 in around 5 days. The models sometimes have a tendency to be too quick in advancing the MJO, but the agreement concerning Phase 2 is of concern even if the timing is off by a day or two.

Ok and like i said, im very new to all this, what will the effect be? snow with they storms? Warmer with rain when system moves in?

Ok and like i said, im very new to all this, what will the effect be? snow with they storms? Warmer with rain when system moves in?

If the MJO forecast is correct and the typical evolution takes place, a period of renewed warmer than normal temperatures along the lines of what the EPS is showing around or after Day 10 for a time could occur. 

Archived