Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It became a big money spectacle. I used to like the amateur Olympics, but since the pros are in, it just ain't as much fun. It's the same with everything. I heard the critic David Edelstein talking about how the movie industry discusses "universes" and "franchises" now, with Disney wanting a new Star Wars every year, leaving less money for regular movies. I couldn't tell you much difference between the Avengers movies and Guardians of the Galaxy. OK fare, but where is the Godfather or the Deer Hunter or Apocalypse Now? They'd never be made today.

That's part of it. That gear-head feel is still missing though. Those engines really used to scream around the tracks, nothing like it. Hopefully something changes and makes it feel like the way it was years ago.

We should have a lotto of some kind on this board: winner receives an all paid for weekends in the snow belt when the lake effect machines are cranking to the tune of 3 to 4 feet

Cost is 50 in gas. Hotel room 150. 50 for food

Your typical nyc snow weenie can come up with that money. People sound lazy or would rather complain about it.

We should have a lotto of some kind on this board: winner receives an all paid for weekends in the snow belt when the lake effect machines are cranking to the tune of 3 to 4 feet

There is a hotel up there in Montague called the Lake Effect Inn I think, at least it was there 10-12 years ago when I was regularly in the area.

There is a hotel up there in Montague called the Lake Effect Inn I think, at least it was there 10-12 years ago when I was regularly in the area.

This year that might ,seriously, be a consideration if we're not up and running up here by late February. So the NWS seems to be buying the NAM in terms of potentially convective snow squalls tomorrow which should be a very refreshing and much needed break

Get in your car and drive north.

Nobody has you locked in your parents basement.

We bought a place in the adirondacks about five years ago and spend about half the winter weekends there.  Its usually a good escape from the futility of being a snow lover on LI.  Most years the latitude and altitude work their magic, but even up there it's been putrid (lake effect area is to our west).   Hopefully we can get on a good two or three week run..

1918 saw an unhappy ending to the coldest period in NYC's weather history when 1" of rain fell as temperatures rose above freezing...the temperature averaged 2.5 degrees for ten days...a storm passed west of the area giving Chicago a blizzard and NYC ice to rain...temps hit 50 briefly before another cold wave rushed in...

from the NY Tribune...

http://chroniclingam...-13/ed-1/seq-2/

1918 from the Brooklyn Eagle...

http://fultonhistory...cale - 0268.pdf

http://fultonhistory...cale - 0269.pdf

The 500mb evolution looks better, but we still need it further SE. This one had it on top of LI. Still a step in then right direction. Let's see what the other 00z models have to say about this.

Nonsense. A further offshore track would just be a drier run with this setup. The cold air is retreating and you don't have dynamics helping you because the CCB develops too late.

Archived