• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

If it wasn't for that funky secondary low developing further SE it probably would have produced a more pronounced CCB but H5 ended up messy.

That dynamic is eerily similar to something that happened with you know if I remember correctly then throughout the moisture more towards Eastern Long Island and the city . There was an energy transfer more OTS last second if I remember correctly

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because you have the primary strong and so far North is why the area is too warm for snow. It's not like you have a 1050mb high sitting over Quebec pumping in cold air. The track of the secondary is completely irrelevant unless you're on Long Island. The secondary simply doesn't have the time to tap the colder air to the North because it develops too late for our area and interior New England gets dumped on.

gfs_asnow_neus_25.png

Perfect example, the 00z GGEM has a 984mb SE of Montauk and its raining all the way into Central PA and Northern New England. Then Upstate NY and New England gets absolutely crushed as it wraps up and rapidly deepens in the Gulf of Maine.

Yep, we need that primary to be well SE of it's current location, the good news is that it moved significantly so since last night's runs, but still not good enough for the vast majority of us.

Because you have the primary strong and so far North is why the area is too warm for snow. It's not like you have a 1050mb high sitting over Quebec pumping in cold air. The track of the secondary is completely irrelevant unless you're on Long Island. The secondary simply doesn't have the time to tap the colder air to the North because it develops too late for our area and interior New England gets dumped on.

gfs_asnow_neus_25.png

2 good quotes fit here; you can't polish a turd and you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig....

I'm flattered that you would waste one of your five posts per day to say that

Agreed. If the GFS was showing a blizzard he wouldn't of posted anything. He's been bragging about this El Niño for almost a year now when in fact it's a wimp compared to 97-98. At least during that niño we had noreaster after noreaster.

I don't hate what the GFS does at 174, it would be cool to see some of there vorts explode as they hit the coast, it's obviously way out there but as a whole this run didn't mirror the doom and gloom from today.

A lot of energy after this weekends storm. I think we do get hit with a storm( snow ) sometime this month.

500 MB looking stronger? Snow on front or back end for the city and point East?

You need the confluence from the upper low over Quebec to be further south. Too much of that low is moving north with the storm, allowing the trough underneath to negatively tilt and ride a primary up the Ohio Valley. More confluence to the south forces a further south redevelopment. As it is now this would be an inland snow event potentially, focused more into upstate NY and New England. 

Canadian is a 976 low near the BM. Too warm.

Still plenty of time. It will change, for better or worse...

The Canadian is always too warm and or too blown up or some combo of the two. As of now I think this could evolve to be a significant snow just inland and north but I would be surprised if we ultimately got this to be a big one for the coast

That Pac jet really wants to start crashing into the west in the medium to long range. Get ready for a lot of rain and 50s warm sectors for the next month. If that -NAO were to bite this could have been something but alas that went up in smoke. January is looking to come in +5 or better. Hopefully we get a Hail Mary the next six weeks like in 83 when the stars aligned in an otherwise overwhelmed El Niño pattern.

Need to watch 18th for that s/w diving down the base of the trough after the 17th rain event pulls the baroclinic zone east. Long shot, but the 6z GEFS is very close to the coast with good snows into the city.

Seems like we couldn't buy ourselves a snow storm this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10hpa stratosphere is severely perturbed now in the LR and displacing over Europe.

Today

gfs_Tz10_nhem_1.png

D15

gfs_Tz10_nhem_33.png

Immediate impacts of a displacement would benefit Europe. Mid and longer term impacts are up in the air. My gut tells me a displacement does us no good in this setup; we need a split. However there is a strong correlation between a displaced PV in mid/late January and a -AO for February/March.

More technical explanation provided by Judah Cohen - http://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

Archived