Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trace counts as snowfall so therefore,we can't possibly break any records for first snowfall. Now there's probably sone record about measurable snowfall with a specific#. But still

As for the latest first 1" of snowfall, we are going to break a record soon if all of the potential snowfall events end up failing in the next 2 weeks or so.

every winter since 9/10 has been upper echelon in some way around here. either warm or snowy

Yeah, even since 2000-2001. The defining characteristics of winters since then have been either

extremes of snow or warmth. Some years the warmth runs the table and others snow. And years

like 05-06 were a mixture of record warmth and record snow. Extremes seem to be the new

normal around here.

Yeah, even since 2000-2001. The defining characteristics of winters since then have been either

extremes of snow or warmth. Some years the warmth runs the table and others snow. And years

like 05-06 were a mixture of record warmth and record snow. Extremes seem to be the new

normal around here.

2008-2009 was pretty much normal.

Well two separate records are maintained for TRACE  and   MEASURED.   The record you refer to expired Jan. 06 and we did not break it.  I never heard of a Trace and a Measurable Amt. referred to as the same thing.  Maybe this will be moot in another 12 hours anyway.

But good news for all of us, the 12Z GFSx says the next 8 days will average 2-3 degs. below normal.   But of course I was warned not to use the GFSx  LOL

Well two separate records are maintained for TRACE  and   MEASURED.   The record you refer to expired Jan. 06 and we did not break it.  I never heard of a Trace and a Measurable Amt. referred to as the same thing.  Maybe this will be moot in another 12 hours anyway.

But good news for all of us, the 12Z GFSx says the next 8 days will average 2-3 degs. below normal.   But of course I was warned not to use the GFSx  LOL

Just so there's no confusion, measurable snow is 0.1" or more. A trace of snow is anything less than 0.1" (non-accumulating snow).

Another thing to watch:

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALLTTAA00 KNHC DDHHMMSPECIAL TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOKNWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL105 PM EST TUE JAN 12 2016For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:1. Cloudiness and thunderstorms have become a little more concentratedand organized near the center of a non-tropical low pressure systemcentered about 1100 miles southwest of the Azores.  The low isproducing winds to near 60 mph over the southern and easternportions of its circulation.  Although environmental conditions areonly marginally conducive for development, this system could becomea subtropical or tropical storm within the next day or so.  Thecyclone is expected to move eastward to northeastward over theeastern subtropical Atlantic over the next couple of days.Regardless of subtropical or tropical cyclone formation, this systemis expected to produce hazardous marine conditions over portions ofthe eastern Atlantic for the next few days.  For additionalinformation, see High Seas Forecasts issued by the National WeatherService and Meteo France.  The next Special Tropical Weather Outlookon this system will be issued by 2 PM EST Wednesday.* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...50 percentHigh Seas Forecasts issued by the National Weather Service can befound under AWIPS header NFDHSFAT1, WMO header FZNT01 KWBC, and onthe Web at http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/NFDHSFAT1.shtml.High Seas Forecasts issued by Meteo France can be found under WMOheader FQNT50 LFPW.Forecaster Paschhttp://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2

Blew it in the city and Long Island again. I think it's time to step back for a bit. This has up to this point been the worst winter of my life (weather wise) best we have done so far was a slight coating of sleet with temps above freezing. If this ends up being a very low snow (less then 5") I will never bebate the power of a super El Niño again

Blew it in the city and Long Island again. I think it's time to step back for a bit. This has up to this point been the worst winter of my life (weather wise) best we have done so far was a slight coating of sleet with temps above freezing. If this ends up being a very low snow (less then 5") I will never bebate the power of a super El Niño again

The funny thing is the pattern hasn't been that bad now since about 12/28 or so but we just haven't lucked into anything. The PAC jet is likely the biggest problem now.

When we had to  use the AC on Xmas and there was a tomato plant growing in my backyard, I pretty much expected the winter to go down like this. Some here laid out reasoned arguments why it would turn cold and we would have blocking, but a few consistently contradicted them, at least one or two was a pro. Further, the no-nonsense types in the met business were still calling for a mild finish to winter. Just two days ago I read an article by an atmospheric scientist who also predicted it would remain mild in our parts. Also, we just had two above normal snowfall winters in a row. Nothing is given, but how likely was it that we would see that 3 years running? Stinker winters happen, and on a regular basis. Let's get it over with and hope it isn't a multi year trend. Hope that we have a turnaround, but will be shocked to see much the rest of this year in terms of snow.

When we had to use the AC on Xmas and there was a tomato plant growing in my backyard, I pretty much expected the winter to go down like this. Some here laid out reasoned arguments why it would turn cold and we would have blocking, but a few consistently contradicted them, at least one or two was a pro. Further, the no-nonsense types in the met business were still calling for a mild finish to winter. Just two days ago I read an article by an atmospheric scientist who also predicted it would remain mild in our parts. Also, we just had two above normal snowfall winters in a row. Nothing is given, but how likely was it that we would see that 3 years running? Stinker winters happen, and on a regular basis. Let's get it over with and hope it isn't a multi year trend. Hope that we have a turnaround, but will be shocked to see much the rest of this year in terms of snow.

We have a good 75 days left to see accumulating snow. Don't know how you can declare winter dead when almost all of this sub forum received more than 50" plus from this point last winter. Smh

Archived