Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ECMWF has the energy near the Yucatan. Not even close to what the GFS showed.

Only 2 GEFS members were hits.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

The ECMWF is even further south/east than the last run. As you mentioned it's the 12z GFS vs even its own ensembles. CMC was nothing, and the UKMET looked to be a total miss as well, way south then way way east on its panels. This is the operational GFS vs the world

The ECMWF is even further south/east than the last run. As you mentioned it's the 12z GFS vs even its own ensembles. CMC was nothing, and the UKMET looked to be a total miss as well, way south then way way east on its panels. This is the operational GFS vs the world

Yeah, doesn't look good.

Living and dying by model runs I see. Teleconnections strongly support a big coastal and that's what I'm going with. I just don't know whether it'll be the first or second wave to produce.

It just seems that the weather is basically saying, "To heck with teleconnections!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It just seems that the weather is basically saying, "To heck with teleconnections!"

The AO heads between -4 and -5 before jolting upwards along with the -NAO around the same time frame. The PNA stays positive.

I would be shocked if nothing happened while all that is occurring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So here's your composite for the Phase 8 ENSO filtered MJO period (1/7-1/11) this year.  Gives strong credence to using this tool in future ENSO years.

CYn4UtZWMAQNFK1.jpg

vs. previous analog

CW2j3SRXAAA0NpP.png

Unfortunately, I do not think the P1 composites are going to match up nearly as nicely, despite a milder signal (largely driven by late week/weekend anomalies) for a decent portion of the northeast and southern plains.  This will likely be a more significant miss across the northern plains and Midwest by the time all is said and done.  

Two thoughts on this:  

1) There are legitimate questions as to whether this is a true phase 1 response going on right now.  While we've seen a significant increase in Indian Ocean convection, it's hard to say that this is nearly as robust as it was when this high amplitude MJO event began.  Subsequently, it makes sense that perhaps there is a weaker IO forcing component to all of this, allowing for the previous block to linger a little bit longer than it otherwise would.  However, there is growing consensus that this block is in fact weakening for late month (any potential SSW impact would be later in the season, these events take time to develop and impact the Arctic oscillation).

2) The main thing I've gleaned from the MJO p1 miss is that the sample size was too small to accurately use this go around.   We have another piece to the puzzle this year that will add to the sample size and usefulness of the MJO composites moving forward.

So here's your composite for the Phase 8 ENSO filtered MJO period (1/7-1/11) this year.  Gives strong credence to using this tool in future ENSO years.

CYn4UtZWMAQNFK1.jpg

vs. previous analog

CW2j3SRXAAA0NpP.png

Unfortunately, I do not think the P1 composites are going to match up nearly as nicely, despite a milder signal (largely driven by late week/weekend anomalies) for a decent portion of the northeast and southern plains.  This will likely be a more significant miss across the northern plains and Midwest by the time all is said and done.  

Two thoughts on this:  

1) There are legitimate questions as to whether this is a true phase 1 response going on right now.  While we've seen a significant increase in Indian Ocean convection, it's hard to say that this is nearly as robust as it was when this high amplitude MJO event began.  Subsequently, it makes sense that perhaps there is a weaker IO forcing component to all of this, allowing for the previous block to linger a little bit longer than it otherwise would.  However, there is growing consensus that this block is in fact weakening for late month (any potential SSW impact would be later in the season, these events take time to develop and impact the Arctic oscillation).

2) The main thing I've gleaned from the MJO p1 miss is that the sample size was too small to accurately use this go around.   We have another piece to the puzzle this year that will add to the sample size and usefulness of the MJO composites moving forward.

Quick question: At what site can one find these maps?

Many thanks.

Archived