Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was gonna say, a completely snowless winter (<= Trace) is probably more improbable than a -7 AO (which per Don would be a one-way 3.5 SD, which is what, 1 in 10,000 approximately?).  Don, what do you typically use to calculate probability based on SD over a normal distribution?  I was using the standard normal density function.

A quick note regarding the AO-/PNA+:

As noted previously, the frequency of measurable snow events increases by about 9% during January. Nearly two-thirds of January's 6" or greater snowfalls have occurred with an AO-/PNA+.

This does not mean that every event is likely to produce measurable snow. It does mean that odds are improved for measurable snowfall events.

So far, winter 2015 has had no measurable snow events. With the AO-/PNA+ forecast to continue for at least the next 15 days, I'd be surprised if we don't have 1 or 2 measurable snow events by the end of the month for NYC.

I was gonna say, a completely snowless winter (<= Trace) is probably more improbable than a -7 AO (which per Don would be a one-way 3.5 SD, which is what, 1 in 10,000 approximately?).  Don, what do you typically use to calculate probability based on SD over a normal distribution?  I was using the standard normal density function.

FWIW, there's a quick online calculator that anyone can use. If one is using a two-tailed test, one needs to multiply the probability by 2 (you know this, but others may not). So, if one uses 1.96 sigma (Z value), one gets a value of approximately 0.975. 1-area within 1.96 sigma of the mean is the tail value (0.025). The probability of each tail is 2.5% so the probability of something 1.96 or more sigma above or below the mean is 5%.

The calculator can be found at: http://sampson.byu.edu/courses/z2p2z-calculator.html

Riddle me this.....if winter 2015-2016 overall is a dud except for a few BL cold snaps and maybe ONE fluke 6"-12" storm in mid February, would canceling winter in mid-January be acceptable looking back post-winter or would it be wrong all together because there was 1 fluke snow event?

Don't cancel it just to be safe. Better yet, express yourself in vague innuendos with no inference whatsoever and just claim you were right regardless of what happens.

Riddle me this.....if winter 2015-2016 overall is a dud except for a few BL cold snaps and maybe ONE fluke 6"-12" storm in mid February, would canceling winter in mid-January be acceptable looking back post-winter or would it be wrong all together because there was 1 fluke snow event?

Wgaf. "Cancelling" winter is an exercise in mental masturbation to either be first to make a call on a weather forum for childish reasons, or to to be purposely pessimistic for reverse psychology reasons. How about we stop worrying about such nonsensical crap and attempt to teach, learn, and discuss the weather without the childish measuring contests.

FWIW, there's a quick online calculator that anyone can use. If one is using a two-tailed test, one needs to multiply the probability by 2 (you know this, but others may not). So, if one uses 1.96 sigma (Z value), one gets a value of approximately 0.975. 1-area within 1.96 sigma of the mean is the tail value (0.025). The probability of each tail is 2.5% so the probability of something 1.96 or more sigma above or below the mean is 5%.

The calculator can be found at: http://sampson.byu.edu/courses/z2p2z-calculator.html

Very nice, thanks!!

Wgaf. "Cancelling" winter is an exercise in mental masturbation to either be first to make a call on a weather forum for childish reasons, or to to be purposely pessimistic for reverse psychology reasons. How about we stop worrying about such nonsensical crap and attempt to teach, learn, and discuss the weather without the childish measuring contests.

Nope, we are cancelling it bro.  Everyone move your calendars directly to March 1st at 23:59:59 tonight.  The sun will set tomorrow at 5:47pm EST.  Spring Training will be in full swing, and the Nats and Mets will be playing each other in a couple days.  Thanks everyone for coming out this year, better luck next year!

Nope, we are cancelling it bro. Everyone move your calendars directly to March 1st at 23:59:59 tonight. The sun will set tomorrow at 5:47pm EST. Spring Training will be in full swing, and the Nats and Mets will be playing each other in a couple days. Thanks everyone for coming out this year, better luck next year!

Banned for talking about the mets n nats.

Nope, we are cancelling it bro.  Everyone move your calendars directly to March 1st at 23:59:59 tonight.  The sun will set tomorrow at 5:47pm EST.  Spring Training will be in full swing, and the Nats and Mets will be playing each other in a couple days.  Thanks everyone for coming out this year, better luck next year!

I hope Daniel Murphy suffers some sort of non-painful/life threatening injury or condition which makes him awful. 

**** you nats. 

**** you!

Im not canceling anything. It was a hypothetical question in a banter thread. I try to teach, learn, and discuss majority of the time past few years. Again, was a simple rhetorical-type question to maybe loosen some of the tension in here. Legit sorry it rubbed you the wrong way. I will avoid this in future posts.

I hope Daniel Murphy suffers some sort of non-painful/life threatening injury or condition which makes him awful. 

**** you nats. 

**** you!

That signing showed how much of a mess their front office has become.  The most telling part of the Nats offseason was the offer they made to Heyward, it basically told everyone they either have no intention of resigning Harper or know they have no chance to do so.  I wonder if he has already told them in some form he is going to test the market and not give them any sort of discount.  You cannot have two 300 mill OFers on the same roster so I have to think they know something.

That signing showed how much of a mess their front office has become.  The most telling part of the Nats offseason was the offer they made to Heyward, it basically told everyone they either have no intention of resigning Harper or know they have no chance to do so.  I wonder if he has already told them in some form he is going to test the market and not give them any sort of discount.  You cannot have two 300 mill OFers on the same roster so I have to think they know something.

Murphy will crush the Mets for years to come. He is the next Chipper Jones.

Im not canceling anything. It was a hypothetical question in a banter thread. I try to teach, learn, and discuss majority of the time past few years. Again, was a simple rhetorical-type question to maybe loosen some of the tension in here. Legit sorry it rubbed you the wrong way. I will avoid this in future posts.

I know you werent cancelling anything. It didnt rub me the wrong way, the constant trolling, rushing to be first to claim something, unwillingness to acknowledge incorrect posts (all by numerous posters, im not singling anyone out) is what rubs me the wrong way. It doesnt matter if we should have cancelled winter.

Archived