• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

The lack of green on May 2nd is pretty stunning...starting to get those bushes with thorns produce green and maybe just a hint on some of the best conditioned maples, but it's pretty bare out there.

1967 redux of the late leaf-out.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lack of green on May 2nd is pretty stunning...starting to get those bushes with thorns produce green and maybe just a hint on some of the best conditioned maples, but it's pretty bare out there.

Here in Death Valley pretty much all of the trees have at least buds... most are leafing out now. Amazing the difference between here and the higher elevations northwest and northeast of here. 

Yeah absolutely nothing happening up here yet, though when I was down in Albany, NY about 10 days ago they were already budding and was starting to green up.

Still November stick season up here, though I bet BTV is starting to green up. Differences like last night where it was 31-32F with frost here, while BTV only drops to 40F, starts to matter this time of year with the growing season.

It definitely depends on the tree. The wretched and plague of eastern MA known as the Norwegian Maple is starting to begin leaf out from those green buds. However, the more resident hardwood maple trees are really slow to show much of anything except some red buds. Friend of mine who is a landscaper thinks a good 2-3 weeks behind , but things will accelerate this week. Forsythia still are in bloom and haven't dropped their flowers. Same with Magnolia. Some of those are just starting. It wasn't even a cold April either which is rather telling.

The no rain pattern has really hurt lawns

Been quite dry over the last 90 days since February 1st...out near MoneyPitMike is down about a half a foot of liquid from average during that time.

Anywhere lower than 4" from normal is pretty significant for just a 90 day snapshot, especially considering how low precipitation is in February/March on average anyway.

Been quite dry over the last 90 days since February 1st...out near MoneyPitMike is down about a half a foot of liquid from average during that time.

Anywhere lower than 4" from normal is pretty significant for just a 90 day snapshot, especially considering how low precipitation is in February/March on average anyway.

90dPDeptNRCC.png

ThAt is ugly. As we go into heat season now this could really get out of hand quick. I'm going to have to drag out the sprinklers in May

Just worked out the math and it would take about 54 gallons of propane to initially heat my pool to a swimmable temp, assuming a start temp of 55 and a heater efficiency of 80%.  :cry:

Or, you could just buy a black solar cover, and when the pool is not in use... a sunny day is an immense thermal dose.

It's varying in the lateness though.   Obviously overall we are impressively belated, but red and sugar maples are are entirely bloomed here in Ayer, with small leaves unfurling... Shrubs ...forsythias and so forth have flowered for a week now with leaves observed.  So it's a bit further along here.  

This week will be impressive to gauge recovery.  With nights well above freezing and days 70 to 80, the recovery rate should be impressive. 

It definitely depends on the tree. The wretched and plague of eastern MA known as the Norwegian Maple is starting to begin leaf out from those green buds. However, the more resident hardwood maple trees are really slow to show much of anything except some red buds. Friend of mine who is a landscaper thinks a good 2-3 weeks behind , but things will accelerate this week. Forsythia still are in bloom and haven't dropped their flowers. Same with Magnolia. Some of those are just starting. It wasn't even a cold April either which is rather telling.

Yeah, my 6 years of landscaping agrees

Toasty. CON and 1P1 up to 72F. 70F here...cooler down in S/SE NH. PSM with a chilly 53F.

At least hit 75F today at BTV...maybe higher. Probably one of the warmest spots in New England.

71F for MVL and 1V4.

70F at MPV at 1200ft.

Saw the Montreal meso-net stations were all like 75-79F.

It's near 60 at home. No wind. Fighting seabreezes here which happens so it's tickled the 60s.

That time of year when Coos County, NH is warmer than you, lol.

Looks like 70+ for HIE and BML plus all the main VT sites.

40+ diurnal swings as it was a frosty morning for the mountain valleys.

I used to do some camping in the Sebago Lake area and definitely concur with Bray's.  If you want to play some golf, I like both Naples CC and Point Sebago. I love that area, in fact my son was born 9 months after one of our visits. :whistle:

Bray's is very good, I enjoy playing Point Sebago

Archived