Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

exit 91, yesterday was bloom out day for a lot of things, oaks look lifeless

Trees showing no real signs up here. Underbrush just starting to turn green now, and forsythia of course in bloom.

But for now trees really are 90% air when we're out on the course!

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to be tax deductible too. Not anymore. Only a small percentage.

Only $8k of $37k pre-school is tax deductible.   So between mortgage and preschool you have one salary gone.

Massachusetts highest in the country.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/pf/1109/gallery.child_care_states/ 

I'm guessing if your PMI is $550 per month, it is a pretty sweet house.

We had PMI twice... once when we bought the house, then again for a few months when we did a re-fi, but it was only $70 or so... gone...

Our pre-school was much cheaper... maybe $4000 per year per kid...I would have to check.

Same state, different worlds

Yellow jackets everywhere. I'm done.

I can't stand them. Have been terrified of them for years. But I've gotten pretty good at snuffing out nests before they get big. One positive aspect of reading up on them...

Yeah, I'm going to have to clear a nest off the back doorway later today. I swear they have a vendetta against me, they always choose to terrorize me over anyone else I'm with.

As for aggression in later summer/early fall, I believe that's because they detect the seasonal change and get desperate for resources before the queen winters.

Oh yeah, and I think it's best to leave the physical nest after you get rid of the occupants, they're very territorial and will be more likely to keep moving if they see a preexisting nest.

I've noticed buds showing up today around the mountain valleys here under like 1,200ft. Like the third day of 70s and sun, and finally stuff is looking like it may come to life soon.

Red maples in flower around my place, and aspen catkins fully grown, soon to litter the roadsides.  Probably first dandelions this week.  However, I'm glad the oak and ash is holding back.  We've twice had black freezes here about 5/12 that killed the new growth on those species.  Models fortunately don't show anything like that, even for my frost pocket site.  (Yesterday's temps were 74/29, and we started topday in the mid-upper 30s.)

Yeah, I'm going to have to clear a nest off the back doorway later today. I swear they have a vendetta against me, they always choose to terrorize me over anyone else I'm with.

As for aggression in later summer/early fall, I believe that's because they detect the seasonal change and get desperate for resources before the queen winters.

Oh yeah, and I think it's best to leave the physical nest after you get rid of the occupants, they're very territorial and will be more likely to keep moving if they see a preexisting nest.

They also don't reuse old nests even if the queen finds the same one from the year before. Also, if you have a white-faced hornets nest nearby and a safe distance from the ground, you should leave it as white-faced hornets like to eat yellow jackets. They are also less likely to sting you away from their nest than a yellow jacket...so as long as the white-faced hornets nest is on a tree branch more than 10-12 feet up where you can't enter their guard zone, it's usually good to keep it around.

not sure what those are but they always left me alone despite looking viciously intimidating.

The ones that nest in sandy areas in the ground that are solitary are cicada killers. They look like giant yellow jackets. They are pretty unaggressive. You almost have to step on them to get stung...but it's a nasty sting if you do happen to get unlucky.

The ones that nest in sandy areas in the ground that are solitary are cicada killers. They look like giant yellow jackets. They are pretty unaggressive. You almost have to step on them to get stung...but it's a nasty sting if you do happen to get unlucky.

I try and tell myself that they pose no threat, but it's hard to even sound convincing in my head.

I try and tell myself that they pose no threat, but it's hard to even sound convincing in my head.

They are popular company in the bunkers at the golf course. They are definitely not easy to stand next to even if you know they are unaggressive...they look horrible. I mean, basically a yellow jacket but much larger...not sure you can get much more horrible looking than that.

So this is really confusing...

My financial aid package is for about 20K next year...the tuition, including housing and food is like 29K...but my financial aid advisor said my out of pocket expenses will be about $21,300...wtf out of pocket expenses? So do I need to like all for a 20K loan?

sounds like you need to ask your financial aid advisor some questions.

sounds like you need to ask your financial aid advisor some questions.

I sent her an email asking some questions and the only question I got answered was how much I got in aid and grants.

I just don't get why I would need another 21,000 for out-of-pocket expenses. On my way to class so don't have time to call but I'll have to call her tomorrow I guess on my break.

not sure what those are but they always left me alone despite looking viciously intimidating.

We've had them nesting in cracks in the stone wall out front... usually noticed in late summer when there are hundreds of them.  Thankfully they are probably the stupidest insect with a stinger and don't seem to pose much threat.  Even when sprayed with insect killer they just sort of fly around.  Some will fly near my head as if to say "bro, did you see who did this to us?"

So this is really confusing...

My financial aid package is for about 20K next year...the tuition, including housing and food is like 29K...but my financial aid advisor said my out of pocket expenses will be about $21,300...wtf out of pocket expenses? So do I need to like all for a 20K loan?

$21K for books and pencils?

They also don't reuse old nests even if the queen finds the same one from the year before. Also, if you have a white-faced hornets nest nearby and a safe distance from the ground, you should leave it as white-faced hornets like to eat yellow jackets. They are also less likely to sting you away from their nest than a yellow jacket...so as long as the white-faced hornets nest is on a tree branch more than 10-12 feet up where you can't enter their guard zone, it's usually good to keep it around.

Just don't douse the white faced hornet nests with wasp killer and set it on fire with a torch, especially if it is located right near your house...

Archived