Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Severe storms 2015 general chatter

Ian

Corn fuel  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When will DCA report its first spring thunder?

2. 2. How many days with severe weather watches in the subforum in 2015?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, 74mph? That's almost derecho-caliber.

Not much here, moderate rain, some thunder, and a 20-30mph southerly breeze.

And plenty of other events.

Looks like a high population but not huge area wind burst. Not terribly exciting here in upper NW other than timing.

Location location location. The lightning was great but it was more bright than vivid if that makes sense. Peak wind really lasted about 5 minutes? Tree branches were bending more than I've seen since moving to this particular spot by a substantial margin. Still not severe wind though. Impressive nonetheless at this hour.

Have you seen any severe-level wind/hail since you've moved here? Seems like you've missed a out on a lot of the blender action recently.

Heh, if the derecho cycle continues (2004, 2008, 2012), we'll be due next summer. ;)

Storm woke me up.  LOTS of close lightning strikes, then pouring rain.

Probably within a mile of where Ellinwood's posting showed the 55 mph gust.

Within a mile of me, LWX reported three trees down (Meade St, S. Washington Blvd, Columbia Pike)- and those are the reported ones.

I kept power (probably thanks to having the trouble tree taken out last year), but the radio indicates many others were not so lucky.

LWX recorded.97 of rain between 1-3 am.

LWX's forecast indicates the chance of rinse and repeat through the 4th.

May the rest of you have YOUR homes shaking next time.

lightning was good here in southern Howard County, but there was specular lightning to my south - it was clear that there was a major-league cell *somewhere* south of me.   I know now that it was along the Route 50 corridor.

Maybe this one...

http://wtop.com/prince-georges-county/2015/07/storm-takes-canopy-md-gas-station/

It was legit in a fairly small area. Happened to line up with high population. If same happened but focused on Frederick would be much less of a story as we see similar or higher gusts at least 1 or 2 times a year somewhere locally. Being woken up at 1 also adds to it.. Plus the wet soil etc. I will say there was more damage than I expected looking at radar velocities.

It's a neat event, because the environment in place was probably pretty good, but 1AM severe storms are so strongly against climatology here that there really wasn't much thought about a threat.   Based on RAP/NAM analysis forecasts, we probably had 1500-2000 sfc-based cape and 45 kt or so of 0-6 km shear, along with fairly strong forcing - certainly enough to justify an isolated severe threat.    If this had been during the late afternoon, we probably would have been boxed, but again, no one was really thinking severe at 1AM.     Heck, SPC which issued  500 watch boxes earlier Tuesday afternoon didn't even deem this overnight event worthy of a mesoscale discussion.

Archived