Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, now that I can talk about it, here's a couple of thoughts about UVa.

First, you have to take the fast break opportunities.  If you consistently walk the ball up the court, the other team will send everybody to the boards.  Mich St. hurt us with some big offensive rebounds yesterday for that very reason.  Also, when you are not shooting well, the fastest cure is to get some easy shots.  Transition provides that opportunity.

Second, you can be patient offensively without being slow offensively.  We move like old men.  No hard cuts, no solid screens.....just strolling around.  And there are other things you can do offensively besides screen for the ball handler.  You can post, you can cut, you can back screen, you can down screen, you can flare off screens, cut off the high post, etc.  The only thing that Virginia does is on-ball screening.  And if you are going to have go to players, then have a couple of go to sets to get them involved when you need them.  All are not created equal in basketball.

Third, Mike Toby has to get in the weight room this summer.  He's nearly 7 feet tall, has good hands and a good shot, but is as weak as water.  We need him to be tough and strong next season.

Ok, I feel better.

this winter is slowly becoming a mini replicate of 2013/14.  it's actually kind of bizarre how similar they are.  

i am legitimately ready for warmer weather.  no question about it.

It's quite similar, except it had a bit less snow and took longer to get going. But I'd welcome a repeat as much as conceivably possible, no question.

I'm one of the last people who'd ever complain about the weather being too cold, but last March brought me to that point, especially when we had lows in the teens late in the month, which is absurd. This March doesn't seem quite as harsh, at least not yet, but this weekend might test my limits.

that's good! Don't get me wrong, I think Trimble is a good guard for sure, he just needs a good backup too. 

I agree with the need for better players surrounding Trimble.  Robert Carter,  a seemingly talented power forward, should take some of the pressure off of Trimble.  Carter is supposed to be really good.  We shall see.

BTW.....a weather fanatic and a sports enthusiast.  :wub:

MDstorm

Getting to the point that seeing chatter about cold is making me angry.

EPS has the 0c line south of us on April 7th and the -epo remaining on roids d9-15. I'm over it like you but at least early April will be in the 50's during the day at the worst. It's weird how the longwave pattern is stuck like it is for 2 years in a row. I've never looked into long term epo patterns but the last 2 years have to be pushing the limits of an anomalous state.

EPS has the 0c line south of us on April 7th and the -epo remaining on roids d9-15. I'm over it like you but at least early April will be in the 50's during the day at the worst. It's weird how the longwave pattern is stuck like it is for 2 years in a row. I've never looked into long term epo patterns but the last 2 years have to be pushing the limits of an anomalous state.

Yeah spring will win more and more just because it has to but still annoying. Especially people rooting for more cold. They've had their day... Enough already. ;)

Yeah spring will win more and more just because it has to but still annoying. Especially people rooting for more cold. They've had their day... Enough already. ;)

Straight normal is sweet in April. It can mimic Oct which is my favorite feel good weather month. Hopefully if this epo thing keeps rolling we can get some strong spring fronts with boomers.

I'm still rooting for record-breaking April cold punctuated by heavy snow....with an easy reason why: Here in the MD-suburbs of DC, just about every monthly old-time record snow event has been topped since I started following the weather-- November 87, December 09, January 96, February 10, and March 93. I want to see that April event. 

Those of you around for 95/96 would remember the slight let-down to end that season. November started the accumulations, December was fine, January was record-smashing, February was more than twice the average, and March was great too. Then came April-- with our last Winter Storm Warning issued for April 9th. 4-8" was the NWS forecast for the DC area, including the city! NBC4 shaved it to 2-5" accounting for the time of year, but alas the low bombed out too late for our latitude. Instead, east-central PA and coastal NJ (Atlantic City) got in on the 6"+ totals. IAD still recorded over 2", but it's kind of dubious whether the snow depth ever got close to 2" there. In Potomac, it snowed all day and coated the grass, but of course fell short of the disruptive, heavy, wet 5 or 6" the forecast was pointing towards.

So, yes, in our not-so-distant past, there was a pattern that offered up the chance for heavy snows well into April. I still hope to see it verify as 4-8" of paste over our area any given season.... 

What is wrong with the data stream from WxBell??  I can use the site for an average of 5 minutes before it freezes, then it won't open again for 30 - 45 minutes, then freezes again after another perhaps 5 minutes of use. I have absolutely no problems with any of dozens of other sites.

I'm still rooting for record-breaking April cold punctuated by heavy snow....with an easy reason why: Here in the MD-suburbs of DC, just about every monthly old-time record snow event has been topped since I started following the weather-- November 87, December 09, January 96, February 10, and March 93. I want to see that April event. 

Those of you around for 95/96 would remember the slight let-down to end that season. November started the accumulations, December was fine, January was record-smashing, February was more than twice the average, and March was great too. Then came April-- with our last Winter Storm Warning issued for April 9th. 4-8" was the NWS forecast for the DC area, including the city! NBC4 shaved it to 2-5" accounting for the time of year, but alas the low bombed out too late for our latitude. Instead, east-central PA and coastal NJ (Atlantic City) got in on the 6"+ totals. IAD still recorded over 2", but it's kind of dubious whether the snow depth ever got close to 2" there. In Potomac, it snowed all day and coated the grass, but of course fell short of the disruptive, heavy, wet 5 or 6" the forecast was pointing towards.

So, yes, in our not-so-distant past, there was a pattern that offered up the chance for heavy snows well into April. I still hope to see it verify as 4-8" of paste over our area any given season.... 

Interesting.  I don't recall a thing about that April...maybe nothing about that March either.

Painful run over the past 12 years for such a storied program. Downright embarassing in fact. If they do not do something next year i would can Turgeon. I do not think he is a good coach at all.

Be thankful you aren't a UNLV fan like I am. We have been swimming in mediocrity since 1991. 2007 was our only decent year since then.

i saw daffodils poking through my mulch.  Chin up, sparky!!!

Seriously, it's okay for warm (that is to say, normal) weather at this point. And it does piss me off people still stalking snow and cold. It's nearly ****in' April. Also, I would assume the people still hoping for cold don't have to pay heating bills.

Seriously, it's okay for warm (that is to say, normal) weather at this point. And it does piss me off people still stalking snow and cold. It's nearly ****in' April. Also, I would assume the people still hoping for cold don't have to pay heating bills.

dont go into the long range storm thread -- yoda is posting about the Euro at 240hrs 

dont go into the long range storm thread -- yoda is posting about the Euro at 240hrs 

That would be swell. Going to Charleston, SC for easter weekend, can only assume that something historic and cold will **** that up and make it miserable.

People stalking snow at this point are probably clinically insane.

I agree with you. If it's not cold enough for snow to stick, then I'm ready for warmth.

35-50F is the absolute worst temperature range.

That would be swell. Going to Charleston, SC for easter weekend, can only assume that something historic and cold will **** that up and make it miserable.

People stalking snow at this point are probably clinically insane.

this will be in Charleston harbor that weekend

Archived