Newest Member
    Toothache
March Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm loving this whole pipe discussion.

Galvanized pipe, even something as small as 1", that totaled 80' with fittings included, would be heavy. AND.............it would be as flexible as a spaghetti noodle at that length.

Depends on the wall-thickness.  I've done the calcs, anything with less than .95 in^2 effective area will weigh less than 250 lbs per 80 ft. length.  As you say, it will bend, so it has to be supported.  He infers that his old aluminum setup had guy wires.

I'm loving this whole pipe discussion.

Galvanized pipe, even something as small as 1", that totaled 80' with fittings included, would be heavy. AND.............it would be as flexible as a spaghetti noodle at that length.

Not to mention the legality of putting up an 80' pipe- state, county, local laws, permits, HOA rules (possibly). At some height you actually need clearance with the FAA lol

Not to mention the legality of putting up an 80' pipe- state, county, local laws, permits, HOA rules (possibly). At some height you actually need clearance with the FAA lol

Judging by his picture in the other thread, I don't think the pipe is installed vertically.  Most local building ordinances do have a height limit, though, anything above which needs a permit.

notice not one mention of -NAO/-AO in the whole thing. looooooooooool.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2015/03/17/snowpredictor/zpURnRt5fv7Waxwb04cRzK/story.html

I'm tempted to create an account so I can comment on the article but it's not my style. So, a scientist is giddy about back to back epic failures of his research and got saved by being right for the totally wrong reasons this year. He must be giddy about every single weekly outlook on AER's website being a total bust too. Sorry dude. Face it. Your call was no better than any weenie on this forum. 

I'm tempted to create an account so I can comment on the article but it's not my style. So, a scientist is giddy about back to back epic failures of his research and got saved by being right for the totally wrong reasons this year. He must be giddy about every single weekly outlook on AER's website being a total bust too. Sorry dude. Face it. Your call was no better than any weenie on this forum. 

The annoying (evil genius brilliance?) of this situation is that he can spin this to non-wx-minded businesses as an amazing success and I'm sure it will be good for AER's bottom line, while he and all wx-minded people he totally busted and fell ass backwards into victory.  

The annoying (evil genius brilliance?) of this situation is that he can spin this to non-wx-minded businesses as an amazing success and I'm sure it will be good for AER's bottom line, while he and all wx-minded people he totally busted and fell ass backwards into victory.  

While he speaks different words to the media. his mind is saying "thank god it was cold and snowy in the east for reasons I don't understand. It saved my ass this year"

I was planning on picking up the remaining leaves and twigs and tree branches and then go to home depot to spend hundreds of dollars on yard and garden stuff so I can satisfy the expectations of my HOA....im bummed it might snow...

notice not one mention of -NAO/-AO in the whole thing. looooooooooool.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2015/03/17/snowpredictor/zpURnRt5fv7Waxwb04cRzK/story.html

"Not exactly, he laughs. “The Farmers’ Almanac is not scientifically credible and should only be viewed for entertainment value.”

- I wonder if he was aware of the deep sense of irony here when he said that? LOL. Just another hack "researcher" who wants his grant money.

yeah - even if his model works, it can't add more than 1-2% skill to predictions (over a coin flip), can it? that would be a heck of an accompishment! But we'll never know because we'll all be dead before there's enough solid data. 

"Not exactly, he laughs. “The Farmers’ Almanac is not scientifically credible and should only be viewed for entertainment value.”

- I wonder if he was aware of the deep sense of irony here when he said that? LOL. Just another hack "researcher" who wants his grant money.

yeah - even if his model works, it can't add more than 1-2% skill to predictions (over a coin flip), can it? that would be a heck of an accompishment! But we'll never know because we'll all be dead before there's enough solid data. 

I dunno, there's probably some validity to it, but it's obviously not the be-all-end-all.  I think it's a factor, but shouldn't be given excessive weight.  

I dunno, there's probably some validity to it, but it's obviously not the be-all-end-all.  I think it's a factor, but shouldn't be given excessive weight.  

Yea, there's a connection when other things cooperate. My primary issue is the spin connecting the SAI to temps when the entire body of research is the connection with the winter state of the AO. That's what's been preached. A -AO favors colder temps so that's the real connection. This is the absolute first I've heard that the SAI is a precursor to winter temps regardless of the overall high latitude pattern. 

Archived