Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Number of credible aurora shots tonight in our area will be 0. That said, this is a perfect opportunity for a nice photo shop of the lights over the mall.

It's funny the good aurora events seem to come with 'no warning'.. or at least not much pre game chatter. Media has bumped up a number in the past that didn't produce anything. Considering this was starting to go gangbusters before dawn in the US seemed destined to not last into tonight but who knows.. I don't. I trust in eek. ;)

Just watch the red line for the Bz.  It has to stay in negative territory.  If it's positive, nobody in the lower 48 sees anything.

So, not the most comforting trend since I last posted.

ace-mag-swepam-6-hour.gif

Temps are soaring.. sleet soon.

I've wanted to see one for years. Even in NE I missed the good opportunities for one reason or another.

I somehow missed the 2003 (I think?) event even though I was in CT for it and it was good there. Saw some in 2005 at home though it didn't look as good to the eye as on camera. Seem to have lost the hi res too. :<

http://wunderground.com/wximage/Vortex/300?gallery=

Showing up in MA. We may be too far south for now and storm seems to be slowly waning but maybe.

https://twitter.com/ericfisher/status/577993632919265282

Capital Weather Gang retweeted

Am hearing that long exposures in PA can see them, but not naked eye visible yet.

Yeah, we probably will get skunked, but we don't get chances too often. 

Anyone know where I can buy a 60-80ft galvanized steel pole that weighs under 250lbs? Aluminum (w/ guying cables) has failed twice now so I'm not going that route again.

Purpose is for an adequate anemometer height. Excessive sway is the problem I keep running into.

I thought proper height placement was 10 meters (35 foot or so)?

Anyone know where I can buy a 60-80ft galvanized steel pole that weighs under 250lbs? Aluminum (w/ guying cables) has failed twice now so I'm not going that route again.

Purpose is for an adequate anemometer height. Excessive sway is the problem I keep running into.

3 times the height of a power pole?  LOL........good luck with that one.

Better off using galvanized pipe and fittings so you can make it the length that you need AND actually be able to transport it.  Can find that at any hardware store.  Using the max allowable length of 80ft, you'd be limited to a cross-sectional area of 0.95in^2 (Remember, that is the effective area using OD - ID).  Pipe sizes are screwy, but I'm sure that parameter can be satisfied with standard size pipes.  I'm not sure how you'll be supporting this length, so I can't comment on loading stresses and strength requirements. 

Archived