Newest Member
    Toothache
March Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sums it up :lol:

Pretty crappy performance all around. Melo only showed up for the first half. Dez looked like he was playing for West Viginia as he had as many turnovers as he did points. Add to that the bulk of the rest of the team hiding in the woodwork (as they often do) and you get an ugly loss. Whom to root for now????

MDstorm

Brutal loss. Worst ref'd game i have seen since MD/Duke in that final four debacle in 01.

Very disappointing end to season. Same result as the Michigan State game in Big 10 tournament. Simply not tough enough physically or mentally. Great season overall but no excuse for Maryland basketball not to be in a sweet 16 since 2003.

Meh. Refs had little to do with that loss. That's loser speak. Terps couldn't handle the pressure from wv. They were relentless all game.

I did not say only MD's way i meant the game in general. MD would have lost either way but the refs were brutal and the announcers even mentioned it numerous times. I guess they also had losers speak. You know how Doug Gottlieb is a HUGE MD fan.

I guess seeing people you live and work with feeling miserable makes you feel better about yourself.

that or maybe he just doesn't like the local teams.

I HATE the redskins and I root for them to lose (almost every week of every season), and it isn't because I feel better about myself because local redskins fans are miserable.... it's because I HATE the team.

Very disappointing end to season. Same result as the Michigan State game in Big 10 tournament. Simply not tough enough physically or mentally. Great season overall but no excuse for Maryland basketball not to be in a sweet 16 since 2003.

Painful run over the past 12 years for such a storied program. Downright embarassing in fact. If they do not do something next year i would can Turgeon. I do not think he is a good coach at all.

I did not say only MD's way i meant the game in general. MD would have lost either way but the refs were brutal and the announcers even mentioned it numerous times. I guess they also had losers speak. You know how Doug Gottlieb is a HUGE MD fan.

Watched the entire game and don't remember gottlieb going out of his way to comment on anything other than the non call on the pick that knocked trimble to the ground. What I do recall him mentioning numerous times was that md virtually had no chance once trimble was out. That should give turgeon a good idea that he needs to do a better job recruiting.

Watched the entire game and don't remember gottlieb going out of his way to comment on anything other than the non call on the pick that knocked trimble to the ground. What I do recall him mentioning numerous times was that md virtually had no chance once trimble was out. That should give turgeon a good idea that he needs to do a better job recruiting.

Agreed on the Trimble part. It was horrible that we do not have one guy on the team that can handle the ball besides Trimble. If you go back and watch the game he commented 4 times on how terrible the calls were. If i remember correctly it was 3 times MD's way and 1 time WV's way. Either way he needs to do better in recruiting.

Meh. Refs had little to do with that loss. That's loser speak. Terps couldn't handle the pressure from wv. They were relentless all game.

This. Refs aren't to blame, and I thought they did a pretty decent job calling fouls. I mean, hell, WV was in the bonus halfway through the first half. Clearly calls were being made. But obviously not enough though to send MD to the line (which MD relies heavily on for points).

WV was too quick, too much full court press and MD couldn't keep up. Losing Trimble was the nail in the coffin late. They were tired. Wells only had 9 pts, terrible game for him. 

Turgeon def needs to get himself another good guard. Cannot rely so much on Trimble. Every time he was out, MD fell behind. The other guys just couldn't keep up. 

Painful run over the past 12 years for such a storied program. Downright embarassing in fact. If they do not do something next year i would can Turgeon. I do not think he is a good coach at all.

until maryland can stop the bevy of blue chip prospects from leaving this area, this is what we're gonna see a lot of.  maryland is a very good sports school, just not an elite one.

This. Refs aren't to blame, and I thought they did a pretty decent job calling fouls. I mean, hell, WV was in the bonus halfway through the first half. Clearly calls were being made. But obviously not enough though to send MD to the line (which MD relies heavily on for points).

WV was too quick, too much full court press and MD couldn't keep up. Losing Trimble was the nail in the coffin late. They were tired. Wells only had 9 pts, terrible game for him.

Turgeon def needs to get himself another good guard. Cannot rely so much on Trimble. Every time he was out, MD fell behind. The other guys just couldn't keep up.

There is supposed to be a JUCO transfer with good ball handling skills coming next season. Hopefully he is as good as advertised and will give some depth at point guard.

There is supposed to be a JUCO transfer with good ball handling skills coming next season. Hopefully he is as good as advertised and will give some depth at point guard.

that's good! Don't get me wrong, I think Trimble is a good guard for sure, he just needs a good backup too. 

Unfortunately as great as Gary Williams was for the program he left it in very bad shape when he retired. the program was never able to build off of the national championship which is mind boggling.

that's good! Don't get me wrong, I think Trimble is a good guard for sure, he just needs a good backup too.

No question about it. As the season went on Trimble was tired if not totally spent at times even though he kept putting up big numbers. He would often show fatigue during the second half of games in the last 2 to 3 weeks. perfect example would be against Michigan State in the Big Ten tournament.

Unfortunately as great as Gary Williams was for the program he left it in very bad shape when he retired. the program was never able to build off of the national championship which is mind boggling.

THIS so much. Crazy how a team coming off one hell of a season (2001/2002) then could suck so badly for years. 

I know that team had some really great depth, that they lost (Mouton, Dixon, Baxter, Wilcox) Hell, four of their five starters left/graduated after that season.

Regardless -- they had a great team! And not much to show for it since then. One sweet 16 appearance (2003), 5-years between this NCAA and the last time they danced, and one ACC championship. 

I loved Williams, met him a handful of times, thought he was fantastic, but you are 100% correct... he left it in shambles. 

That is because he never would recruit guys that would only stay 1 or 2 years. If he had we would have been a much better program. He single handedly ruined our program after 2002 because of his stubbornness.

Archived