joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM is def watch worthy.   If GFS follows up, lock it up.

Looks good through 21Z but it's hard to tell how much of the precipitation the next 3 hours is snow versus sleet.  The 850 warm layer wet bulb is only 1C so probably some.  .The best thing about the run isit aimed the heavy stuff back at us rather than just to our south like the 18Z run.

Looks like RGEM

It's a step in that direction.  At 12z there had been a pretty big split in the models, with the GFS / NAM showing the heaviest strip of snowfall over Kentucky and Tennessee, and the RGEM / GGEM showing it over upper Indiana and Ohio.  18z GFS took a step towards the GGEM, and 00z NAM looks like it took a bigger one.  That could be good news, as the RGEM and GGEM turn out pretty well for us.

what...the storm starts with temps at -13C? Its the coldest run yet

nope....if you compare 850 temps from 12Z and this run (18Z too, but I didn't look as close), the 850 temps before the storm are warmer.....trust me

you want proof, I'll post it

but it doesn't matter since it ended pretty darn good

High res nam has the same general idea. Hot and heavy with the precip from nw va through md. 4-5" in the cities and up to 8" from okv-fdk-minsterdeathband zone. This happens before any changeover worries.

its time for the what can go wrong post. No more 150 mile North Jumps please is 1 of them

High res nam has the same general idea. Hot and heavy with the precip from nw va through md. 4-5" in the cities and up to 8" from okv-fdk-minsterdeathband zone. This happens before any changeover worries.

I can't even think about a case study in which this happened...to all rain

Yea, no kidding. One thing that all models agree on is we keep the column through 16z give or take. We just need as much precip as possible before then.

the models have literally gone back to that crazy euro solution from 3-4 nights ago lol

High res NAM looks colder at the surface than the NAM.  Looking at the maps on Tropical Tidbits, It barely gets above freezing west of 95 in Maryland.  It was the same at 18z.

well, if it is the colder of the 2, nobody here is going to blame you for hugging it, and I think I speak for all of us   :grad:

I can't even think about a case study in which this happened...to all rain

One of the ice storms we had in 1994 was a little similar only I think the cold was locked in at the surface a bit better in that case and the snow area was further north in pa but the setup of a frontal wave going well north with snow south of the track from cold in front seems similar.

Archived