joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I "think" the RGEM will look very nice/ The 48 hr. maps aren't out, but  this is the 36 hr. vertical motion map. Look at the 700mb RH map in the top right.....the heavy duty RH and lift is aimed right at DCA/BWI  (famous last words?)

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/769_100.gif

the storm is still so far out. Plenty of north trends left to screw us:)

I "think" the RGEM will look very nice/ The 48 hr. maps aren't out, but  this is the 36 hr. vertical motion map. Look at the 700mb RH map in the top right.....the heavy duty RH and lift is aimed right at DCA/BWI  (famous last words?)

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/769_100.gif

I've got it to 36 on our fav B and W maps...

call me skeptical but when was the last time a driving rainstorm on the models because a heavy snowstorm in one day....36 hours away from the storm:)

NAM still dumps ~0.5" on us after we switch to rain, as best as I can see or estimate.  Kind of a sharp gradient drop-off in precip to the west of I-95.  This is in the time period 00Z Sat. night through 12Z Sunday, assuming we're going to all liquid sometime after 00Z.  After 12Z Sunday, there's a light amount that falls but that's it.

6" of snow in six hours would be damn impressive.  About as good of a front end thump as you could ask for.  And even better since the precip shifts out as temps rise.  6" of snow with a crusty icy coating.  I'm in. Biggest snow of the year possibly. I can agree with many on here that never in my lifetime would I expect to get a major snow with this setup, but this airmass is about as anomalous as it gets, so I guess it's possible.

late Feb 2007?

that's the closest I can think of.... 5 days out it was 55 degree rain IIRC

Feb. 25, 2007?  I don't remember all the details other than not long before it started the forecast was for ice changing to rain.  It began as snow, got heavy for several hours, ended as sleet and some drizzle.  We got 4-6" in DC from that.  I heard something that we had an isothermal profile up to about 850-mb or something like that, very close to and just below freezing.

I know you don't like it, but we really need the GFS to come in showing something in the ball park IMO. It's funny how close we really are but it feels like an eternity.

in prior years..48 hours is "lock it in". This year...its still chaos

Archived