joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, definitely wet and looks like a good thump to that point.  But can't imagine a decent low in Ohio is very good, unless I'm looking at things wrong.

That does look odd. How is there so much moisture ahead of the Low? lol

eta: GFS shows similar, wth?

This is shaping up to be a mess, regardless of type. With no sun on Saturday, most surfaces including some roads, driveways, walks, etc. will be well below freezing. We could have freezing rain with temps above freezing.

I just hope we can get enough winter precip so that some can survive the mini warmup, if it happens.

This is shaping up to be a mess, regardless of type. With no sun on Saturday, most surfaces including some roads, driveways, walks, etc. will be well below freezing. We could have freezing rain with temps above freezing.

I just hope we can get enough winter precip so that some can survive the mini warmup, if it happens.

Oh, I think it's pretty well a given that we'll have a warmup in this event.  At least for the immediate metro DC area.  Areas farther out (i.e., to the west) might not actually warm up much.  But regardless, my goal is to have that minimized if possible (as if we have a choice, haha!).

Stay post-821-0-43775300-1424388466.jpgigilant

My guess would be that it's dragging a cold front behind it and it's not really strong enough to wrap precip around it. It also may be in the process of transferring. Those are both just guesses on my part.

It's also a peculiar blip in what appears to be a favorable pattern going forward. Maybe we'll get lucky this time.

My hunch is the current forecasts will verify. The early wintry precip will be nice, but I just don't see how we can remove so much rain from guidance in the next 24 to 48 hours.

It's still too far out to get specific but going off the temp maps on instant maps even DC doesn't make it to 35 until about 12z Sunday. By then most of the precip will be moving out. 33 degree rain can't do much to snow except compact it. Out here it's even colder. Get a thump and we can survive the rain, if it even happens

There's a few of us down here!

Excited to see how much of the NAM prog'd ~ 1.5in QPF we can turn into snow. A lot of it would immediately get rained on, though.

I was talking about WV mainly.. The parts west of WVclimo and trixieville. ;) of course fine anyway.. Tho the all caps WSW issued made it seem exciting. :P

That's the spirit! I think a few more SE shifts would be better for almost everyone, anyway. Cutting it really close, though.

I doubt it will be because of 5" widespread chance. 2-4" with sleet/zr on top should do it. Lwx was bearish with their disco earlier. If 0z holds the same idea we're thinking right now, a watch will likely go up with the am afd.

DT 1st guess has most of the area >4". >6" down by CHO and 10" near Roanoke FWIW. Also says significant icing. Going big.

I think that is a good forecast....from someone who admittedly knows little. It's just simply too cold at the surface for plain rain for a good period and the 850's are below or right at freezing for a good portion. Southerly winds will still have to traverse a couple hundred miles of snow covered landscape.

Archived