• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

Maybe the last storm is clouding my judgment, but have we seen precip arrive earlier than modeled this winter? I know every storm is different, but could be a consideration here too.

Euro is the latest of 12z guidance. We're at the time where we can probably safely assume it's going to snow for a period through our region. The details are knife edge as to when/where/how much

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the warm layer on the NAM and GFS has been below 850, roughly 900mb and lower

Euro sounds the same way from what I've read here, but I haven't seen soundings yet

more normal for warming to be above 850 so maybe the models will get colder as time goes on as they see that the lower level cold is tougher to move out (that's my weenie hope, of course)

D.C. metro is on the edge. A couple more shifts like that and it's ours!

If you compare 0z to 12z, the alignment of the trough/precip shield is dampening more wsw-ene vs sw-ne. For visual, last night it was aimed at 1 o'clock. 12z is more 2 o'clock. Awful close to a bigger hit in the cities. We can only be weenies and wishcast it home.

That's not typically how these thumps work. Yes mappy will beat you but its usually a pretty uniform distribution and scaled n/s. If you get 3" she's getting 5".

Meh. I'd be surprised if mby got 3", but wouldn't be surprised at all if she got 5". That's a noticeable difference. An expected one.

Archived