joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday, 2/18 Afternoon/Evening Snow on Snow Event

Deck Pic

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I certainly want a repeat of sat night but there are some key differences this go around. Sat had a very strong shortwave and sub 1k mature low pressure traversing pa and off the coast. Much more dynamic than what we are seeing tomorrow. Should be a nice line that will hopefully be unbroken as it passes. I expect it to be similar to a strong spring cold front precip wise.

Gym, there's a lot of sugar and flour on the ground that hasn't been touched by wind. Post front should look pretty cool unless it cakes up tomorrow. Roads will probably experience some of the same problems as overnight saturday. Even without any snowfall the wind can cause its own problems.

True....stuff will fly in any 25 mph gusts. Did you have a chance to be outside past 10 pm on Saturday, though? Here, I measured slightly above 2" at the end of the snow-burst. The grass was already differing in coverage depending on orientation to the wind, but it was mostly completely covered.

Then, the ground-blizzard started with snow flying everywhere at street level. By midnight, grass everywhere was partially exposed, as the wind had carried snow in sheets across every surface.  

Winchester crew averages more snow than the majority in our sub forum, but you'd think they never saw snow based on their reaction to it. 

Not sure what your point is, that we shouldn't be skeptical of getting an inch of snow out of the FROPA tomorrow when an even more robust set up on Sat. barely gave us a dusting? ...not to mention years of experience living here.

for anything more than a coating-1/2", we have to hope models are too far north with their placement of the slp

radar looks pretty good now because it has most of the heavier echo in KY, though we won't know what happens as they cross the mts.

also, 3 hr. pressure drops are in KY, which is consistent with the RAP's latest forecast

in the end, barring last minute changes it will be par for this winter, which may or may not get blown away by post frontal winds

certainly better than nothing though

I think LWX is trying to get people's attention since this will be at rush hour time. A woman I know flipped in her suv Saturday night and rolled the vehicle into a small pond. She was shaken and very cold but fortunately someone noticed her vehicle right away And she was just bruised. Things can change really quick in weather like this. I am sure people have similar stories from other systems but just a reminder.

Archived