joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since it will begin tomorrow, which is President's Day, but it won't be of the magnitude of previous President Day storms, I say we give it the President's Day honor, but with the acknowledgement that it is a minor event compared to prior historic storms. Therefore, I suggest PD₃.

Yup and being presidents day it would only be proper to bullseye DC !

Considering the LWX WSWatch criteria .... http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/Defined/#Winter Storm Watch  

Does anyone know why (or have an opinion on) NWS might be holding off on issuing a Watch, considering what we have seen from the 12z model suite thus far (especially those counties south of DC) ?     

Being a FED employee myself, I get the conservative, careful, and reserved mindset... but it seems that there might be a subjective threshold regarding confidence level?   Furthermore, FED offices tend to be slow-moving monoliths, and another reason for that slow movement could be that all the Virginia NWS offices are coordinating their efforts in issuing the watches?  

I worked for the NWS in Blacksburg, VA so I'm not completely unfamiliar with these tactics and strategy.. 

I'm wondering what the collective opinion of the room is on this subject... thanks for the responses.  

I don't want to banter up the storm thread but I am only a private contractor and service some government locations in leesburg. We always plow at 2" until the storm is done, then salt at the end to prevent icing. Only thing I can think of why they didn't treat is the heavy wind or the extreme cold which may not do anything depending on what mixture they are actually using to treat.

Thank you

Probably just coming into better alignment with the other globals. I expect .5-.7 from the Euro too.

Agree. Guidance is getting pretty tight for central md on south. N md is the wildcard. I'd put money on them doing quite well. 

Pretty awesome that it will be instant stickage everywhere. One of my favorite things (and rare things) about metro snow. 

Considering the LWX WSWatch criteria .... http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/Defined/#Winter Storm Watch  

Does anyone know why (or have an opinion on) NWS might be holding off on issuing a Watch, considering what we have seen from the 12z model suite so far (especially those counties south of DC) ?     

Being a FED employee myself, I get the conservative, careful, and reserved mindset... but it seems that there might be a subjective threshold regarding confidence level?   Furthermore, FED offices tend to be slow-moving monoliths, and another reason for that slow movement could be that all the Virginia NWS offices are coordinating their efforts in issuing the watches?  

I worked for the NWS in Blacksburg, VA so I'm not completely unfamiliar with these tactics and strategy.. 

I'm wondering what the collective opinion of the room is on this subject... thanks for the responses.  

Mostly since the models have been all over the place. If Euro holds then they will issue watches from probably Baltimore on South. Northern counties of MD might have to wait. Any watches will most likely be issued during the Afternoon update (About 3PM). 

Does anyone know why (or have an opinion on) NWS might be holding off on issuing a Watch, considering what we have seen from the 12z model suite so far (especially those counties south of DC) ?     

Three things:

1.)  Timing:  Winter Storm Watches are issued within 48 hours from the anticipated start time.

2.)  Snow Amounts:  The preponderance of model guidance and available forecast data must be in reasonable agreement that warning criteria snowfall will be exceeded across a large area.  Isolated amounts of warning criteria do not count.

3.)  Forecaster confidence:  Forecaster confidence must be *at least* 50% that warning criteria snowfall or ice will be met.  With the complex pattern that we are currently in, there is no reason to pigeonhole a subsequent shift with a watch.  

3.1)  Impacts:  When a winter storm watch is issued, it triggers a lot of things:  conference calls, pre-snow DOT checks/road brining, EOC pre-activation calls, school calls, etc.  In the northeast megalopolis, a watch / warning is literally a multi-million dollar decision.

No reason to issue watches until after the euro.....maybe not until the late afternoon update.

Three things:

1.)  Timing:  Winter Storm Watches are issued within 48 hours from the anticipated start time.

2.)  Snow Amounts:  The preponderance of model guidance and available forecast data must be in reasonable agreement that warning criteria snowfall will be exceeded across a large area.  Isolated amounts of warning criteria do not count.

3.)  Forecaster confidence:  Forecaster confidence must be *at least* 50% that warning criteria snowfall or ice will be met.  With the complex pattern that we are currently in, there is no reason to pigeonhole a subsequent shift with a watch.  

3.1)  Impacts:  When a winter storm watch is issued, it triggers a lot of things:  conference calls, pre-snow DOT checks/road brining, EOC pre-activation calls, school calls, etc.  In the northeast megalopolis, a watch / warning is literally a multi-million dollar decision.

I never would think of that last statement, but oh so true and important to remember!

Three things:

Thank you for the thorough response.  And yes that reason alone is enough to justify the need for an over-abundance of caution.  

Does anyone know why (or have an opinion on) NWS might be holding off on issuing a Watch, considering what we have seen from the 12z model suite thus far (especially those counties south of DC) ?     

If the Euro holds...  They would issue it in the afternoon package... IMO

This is somewhat of a pet peeve of mine...

Recently the 12 hour snowfall criteria for the DC-Balt metro area was raised from 4" to 5", which means a 3-6" forecast (avg 4.5") and a 4-6" forecast (avg 5") will justify a watch/warning...BUT...3-5" will no longer (i.e. 3-5" is now considered 'advisory criteria'.  What bothers me about that is the criteria for the I-95 corridor here in the mid Atlantic is the SAME as in western VA and western MD, which means I think our new 12 hr criteria is too high.

Meanwhile, areas to the northeast, including the eastern shore and south Jersey, are 4" in 12 hours...which means a 3-5" forecast *would* warrant a watch/warning and not just an advisory.

I'm sorry -- but anytime 3-5" hits the beltways in DC/Baltimore, especially when temps are well below freezing, that's a warning event, not an advisory.  Just my opinion...

post-1263-0-95175600-1424020995_thumb.jp

Recently the 12 hour snowfall criteria for the DC-Balt metro area was raised from 4" to 5", which means a 3-6" forecast (avg 4.5") and a 4-6" forecast (avg 5") will justify a watch/warning...BUT...3-5" will no longer.  What bothers me about that is the criteria for the I-95 corridor here in the mid Atlantic is the SAME as in western VA and western MD.  Meanwhile, areas to the northeast, including the eastern shore and south Jersey, are 4" in 12 hours...which means a 3-5" forecast *would* warrant a watch/warning and not just an advisory.

I'm sorry -- but anytime 3-5" hits the beltways in DC/Baltimore, especially when temps are well below freezing, that's a warning event, not an advisory.  Just my opinion...

Thank you for sharing the map.  I did not know that Boston need 6 inches to be a WSW

Recently the 12 hour snowfall criteria for the DC-Balt metro area was raised from 4" to 5", which means a 3-6" forecast (avg 4.5") and a 4-6" forecast (avg 5") will justify a watch/warning...BUT...3-5" will no longer (i.e. 3-5" is now considered 'advisory criteria'.  What bothers me about that is the criteria for the I-95 corridor here in the mid Atlantic is the SAME as in western VA and western MD, which means I think our new 12 hr criteria is too high.

Meanwhile, areas to the northeast, including the eastern shore and south Jersey, are 4" in 12 hours...which means a 3-5" forecast *would* warrant a watch/warning and not just an advisory.

I think the Philly region recently raised their warning criteria to 5", which makes perfect sense... ours has been 5" for at least 10 years or close to it. Most of western MD isn't a whole lot snowier until you're west of Cumberland.

3-5" doesn't quite feel like a major storm IMO, but maybe that's just me. 

i'll feel better after this euro run.  i feel like we can afford a northward shift more so than a southward one.  we're in it, but not far from being fringed either.  i'm waiting until 18z runs before expectations are raised.

I think the Philly region recently raised their warning criteria to 5", which makes perfect sense... ours has been 5" for at least 10 years or close to it. Most of western MD isn't a whole lot snowier until you're west of Cumberland.

3-5" doesn't quite feel like a major storm IMO, but maybe that's just me. 

I agree with you...just thinking about the impact of a 3-5" snowstorm on the beltways around here ('high' impact).  Sorry about the banter folks... didn't mean to! :)

If the Euro holds...  They would issue it in the afternoon package... IMO

Thanks for the response... I almost forgot how regimented the NWS likes to be when sending out updates... and apparently they like to wait for certain "designated time slots" in the morning and afternoon to take action.  Very interesting how that operation works. 

That map is old..the criteria for upper Delmarva and SNJ (Mount Holly region) was increased from 4 to 5". 

Archived