joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty fat overrunning setup early next week on the gfs. There's a lot of looks like this going on right now. Euro ens has a cluster of solutions that snow on us the exact same way as the gfs is showing. Ggem was a weenie run @ 12z. 

So was 0Z. If it wasn't such a crappy model this winter my weenie might be a little excited.

That's technically true for every system. ;)

It's was an equally divided response between joking and serious. 

As long as these cold highs keep dropping down we'll have continued chances. Looks like a bunch of them too (cold highs not chances). Wrapped storms will go west but there's a good bit of confluence showing up in a weeks time. Pretty classic look for overrunning type stuff. And lots of time for it to change to warm rain by the time we get there. 

Just stepping back from the models, you would have to think that with a touch of retrogression apparent in past week (west coast ridge has shifted back into the coastal Pacific, colder air seeped west into Great Basin, etc), the signal that has been affecting New England for ages should to some extent appear more over the inland northeast to Ohio valley. The key question is, will that mean cutters and warmth, or sharply digging troughs and coastals, or a mixture? I am guessing mixture. That means there is probably one really decent snowstorm to come for the I-95 Mid-Atl corridor.

It's was an equally divided response between joking and serious.

As long as these cold highs keep dropping down we'll have continued chances. Looks like a bunch of them too (cold highs not chances). Wrapped storms will go west but there's a good bit of confluence showing up in a weeks time. Pretty classic look for overrunning type stuff. And lots of time for it to change to warm rain by the time we get there.

There has been, and still are, some solutions that bring a good low into East Tennessee with cad. That works for me, bring it on.

I'm talking 7+ days out, so there's that to consider also.

Looks like the point and click thinks it is going to snow this weekend

Untitled_zpspvazmbfg.jpg

saw that earlier, but the discussion didn't point to a particular storm, just some waves that may skip on by.  we have the cold this week, though.  we get qpf every few days here throughout the year, wouldn't surprise me if we get one more snowstorm in the next 2 weeks.

Ah ok, thanks for that.  I will do that in the future.

In smaller events 1-3" the SREF mean seems pretty decent verbatim, from what I've seen, however, my rule of thumb with moderate or larger events is to take about 60% of the total SREF mean inside 36 hours and you'll be pretty close to reality.

Archived