• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

Interestingly, a few of the individual GGEM ensemble members show some "good hits" for our region at 156...

Also, after taking a quick glance, there also seems to be some EPS members who also see a chance for an "event" during that time period... I counted 13/14 or so (little over 25%) that had good snows over our region (I used the 3 inch mark as a baseline)

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't call it typical. lots of years March is a straight torch with no chsnce. We had 2 cold snowy marches in a row in the area and some forget the ones where winter is just flat over by March 7.

It's something how much March can vary -- 2012 was +10.1 (Dulles) with 11 days 70 or above and five 80 or above.  Then the last two cold ones with March 2014 at -6.8 and three snow events adding up to almost 20 inches.  Crazy!  I would welcome a warm one after next weekend.

06z GFS has a H in perfect position Day 7 into 8, but doesn't see the CAD (IMO) and we get rain.  For example, one can clearly see the CAD at 174, but at 180, CAD is gone and the 32 degree line is up in central PA.  Is the track of the SLP responsible for eroding the CAD that fast?  Or is it something else?

06z GFS has a H in perfect position Day 7 into 8, but doesn't see the CAD (IMO) and we get rain.  For example, one can clearly see the CAD at 174, but at 180, CAD is gone and the 32 degree line is up in central PA.  Is the track of the SLP responsible for eroding the CAD that fast?  Or is it something else?

euro has it as rain too

06z GFS has a H in perfect position Day 7 into 8, but doesn't see the CAD (IMO) and we get rain.

Think about how some of the models missed the cold air damming just two days ago.

Keep hope alive.   Maybe we've got one more plowable snow left in the pipeline.

3F forecast for tomorrow morning, nothing much has changed, pattern still reloading.

A week in modeling....accuracy at its finest this year

lol

Euro ensembles are pretty bullish on snow-ice-rain Sunday. Multiple waves along the boundary going forward with us on the losing side until d9-10. And then turning colder and potentially stormy d10-15. Western ridge returns and a battle in the middle of the country with the ridge over the gulf and trough pushing down. Looks like a boundary on the means with no shortage of precip. And we're on the winning side...for now...lol

Interesting run and it's only a week away.

lol

Euro ensembles are pretty bullish on snow-ice-rain Sunday. Multiple waves along the boundary going forward with us on the losing side until d9-10. And then turning colder and potentially stormy d10-15. Western ridge returns and a battle in the middle of the country with the ridge over the gulf and trough pushing down. Looks like a boundary on the means with no shortage of precip. And we're on the winning side...for now...lol

Interesting run and it's only a week away.

Remember where the Sat snow-ice-rain was on the models at long range.

Its a much better chance in Richmond.t

Most definitely. I counted 18 EPs members with 4"+ or so. All the amped solutions look better for Central VA, obviously. And 8 that are absolute paste jobs for Richmond and Tidewater. So if history is any guide, DT will hype it up and then it will trend way north, thanks to a combination of atmospheric memory, mother nature spiting DT, model trend inertia, seasonal trends, "stuff always trends north", southern bias, etc, etc.

That thing just looks super juiced up down in the gulf by Wednesday. Give us a slightly weaker high (which - nonsense aside - actually seems to be a trend) and boom, we have our first decent Miller A. 

I'm excited.

RGEM 48 hr. map.....I could see this working for us if that northern energy drops into the trough around TX while the vortex over southern Hudson Bay pulls away to the N/NE causing heights to rise in the east; gunna' need good timing, as usual, but I could see it working

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/600_100.gif

For u guys thinking this has a chance, i'm curious to what you think is the top potential. I think 2"+ in dc/bwi is near miracle status.

Wes may do half decent if it comes north. I'm rooting big for him.

Agreed, flat fast flow..this is not going to have some huge blossoming moisture to its north, so even a bit more north and it is nothing more than a dust at best.

For u guys thinking this has a chance, i'm curious to what you think is the top potential. I think 2"+ in dc/bwi is near miracle status.

I agree, Bob.  The full phasing potential with this system is low, thus we should not expect a juiced up system that drops 6"+ region wide.  While it's not truly a southern slider, it has that feel as the northern stream will shear the top of the storm and boot it out to sea.  We are getting close to game time for any big shifts, but as we know a north trend with the precip shield should not be unexpected given the raging + AO and NAO.  I see Richmond doing okay in this type of setup.

personally, I haven't even thought about amounts

too far to go before we get there, but last Monday was a NC/S VA snow storm on the models days out so who knows

EDIT: this has been a season of miracles......6-10" with a Low to our west being the most recent

Archived