Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mid Atlantic is a weird place in winter. In summer we know what we are, basically an extension of the south with subtropical weather. Last winter it felt like we were in the northeast. This winter it feels like we are in the southeast. My mindset when looking at models now is like I live in a snow hole like Richmond, and no matter what it will find a way not to snow. Oh well, beer.

Mid Atlantic is a weird place in winter. In summer we know what we are, basically an extension of the south with subtropical weather. Last winter it felt like we were in the northeast. This winter it feels like we are in the southeast. My mindset when looking at models now is like I live in a snow hole like Richmond, and no matter what it will find a way not to snow. Oh well, beer.

2011-12 felt like South Carolina. 2013-14 felt like Michigan or Massachusetts. This year feels like Beijing (look up their winter temp and precip averages, Siberian high FTL).

I say this with all of the internet seriousness that I can muster.  I hope the next month averages about 10-15 degrees higher than average for highs, with much below precipitation.  

At least the days will be nice, and by mid March, normal becomes a lot more tolerable.

Cold and dry is almost as big of a pain as hot and dry.

2011-12 felt like South Carolina. 2013-14 felt like Michigan or Massachusetts. This year feels like Beijing (look up their winter temp and precip averages, Siberian high FTL).

As I recall their temps are pretty moderate, similar averages to coastal NE or N. MA. But dont they get all their precip in the spring/summer? This winter has defo not been a dry one here, so not sure I would make that comparison. I had 5 inches of cold rain in January alone.

I say this with all of the internet seriousness that I can muster.  I hope the next month averages about 10-15 degrees higher than average for highs, with much below precipitation.  

At least the days will be nice, and by mid March, normal becomes a lot more tolerable.

Preach.

As I recall their temps are pretty moderate, similar averages to coastal NE or N. MA. But dont they get all their precip in the spring/summer? This winter has defo not been a dry one here, so not sure I would make that comparison. I had 5 inches of cold rain in January alone.

Their temps are pretty cold and SNE-like... but yeah they get their precip in the warm season and likely get very little snow since winter is so dry.

Aside from the rain, when we've had cold, sunny days in the 20s and 30s with brown grass, it felt like any cold place that's utterly incapable of a snowstorm. It's like we're Beijing and Boston is Sapporo

Welcome!  <hug>

If there is a God in heaven, we will get a SE Ridge locked in some how by late Feb/early March.   We can do 60's here in late Feb.   Sun angle should start to help too.  

I know this winter pattern down here has sucked.. Just cold and dry, then wet and warm.  Pattern is like a stubborn mule. Hoping this pattern changes the second half of the month.  

Anyway, funny clip I came across today..

http://6abc.com/pets/video-hero-cat-claws-his-escape-through-snow-drift/505700/

Boy, cats can be so persistent.. 

Archived