Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard some great news. Bastardi is holding firm that 4" makes it all the way down to DC Monday. :cliff:[/quote

Why? I mean what meteorological basis has he given? He can't just say that without some analysis however flawed it might be..just curious

he's been failing lately on storms, admitted that in video yesterday, in his video today he uses the gfs and ec to explain what is going to happen

Why? I mean what meteorological basis has he given? He can't just say that without some analysis however flawed it might be..just curious

He's Joe Bastardi.  He doesn't need any GD meteorology!  His muscles will strike fear into the atmosphere and make it snow when and where he calls for it!

Anyone remember 2008/09? I think that's the year I'm thinking about. We hardly had any snow that entire winter. Then on the last day of February it snowed all night. By the next morning. I had 9" of beautiful wet snow. Anyway, good to see the long range trend waking back up. Seems a little more laid back around here today.

Anyone remember 2008/09? I think that's the year I'm thinking about. We didn't have hardly any snow the entire winter. Then on the last day of February it snowed all night. By the next morning. I had 9" of beautiful wet snow. Anyway, good to see the long range trend waking back up. Seems a little more laid back around here today.

My hope this winter is we get a flip to -AO in late Feb and get a decent event in early march. Something like what Noquester was supposed to have been.

I been reading about all the really old storms now lol

I bet these were all Miller B's that screwed us. The 12Z Euro on 2/26/1717 would've probably shown us getting clobbered though:

Now what kind of super blocking do we need to get to have DC and Annapolis get 3 feet and Philly north get nothing but flurries? I bet your eardrums would burst from the high pressure if you were in Greenland during this storm lol

I been reading about all the really old storms now lol

I bet these were all Miller B's that screwed us. The 12Z Euro on 2/26/1717 would've probably shown us getting clobbered though:

Now what kind of super blocking do we need to get to have DC and Annapolis get 3 feet and Philly north get nothing but flurries? I bet your eardrums would burst from the high pressure if you were in Greenland during this storm lol

I dunno... in 1717 I don't think either Baltimore or DC existed. It was probably all tobacco fields. Hard to really tell how much snow fell if there's no info around. 

forget forecast busts about snow, i'd like to see forecasting offices do a better job at predicting sun vs clouds the next day.  that is one area that needs improvement in this area.  i thought today was supposed to be sunny, but it's not.  it's cloudy.

though i will say this, after just looking at CWG's forecast, they did a good job mentioning the possibility of it being overcast today.

I dunno... in 1717 I don't think either Baltimore or DC existed. It was probably all tobacco fields. Hard to really tell how much snow fell if there's no info around. 

ummm... the post was meant to be a joke lol. But anyway, I do think Annapolis and St. Mary's City were at least established by then, and there doesn't seem to be any reports there, so...

But its fun to speculate. I bet many winters of the 1600's and 1700's were way colder and/or snowier here than anything we've ever seen since the official record keeping began. Maunder Minimum and all that...

Not necessarily for Baltimore /DC but Sandy and 93 superstorm have to be considered 100 or even 500 year storms. Sandy had record flooding and record October snow amounts ..30" at deep creek. And 93..well...arguably no storm as dynamic.

I agree. But I'm thinking about local snow events. The big one's. If I had to guess. I would say 50" for a 1000 year storm and 30"+ for a 500 year storm. 100 year storm 25-30". And yes, I would love to live through a 1000 year storm.

Not necessarily for Baltimore /DC but Sandy and 93 superstorm have to be considered 100 or even 500 year storms. Sandy had record flooding and record October snow amounts ..30" at deep creek. And 93..well...arguably no storm as dynamic.

There have been people trying to decide just what level 93 was, I'm sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 1 in a 500 year storm

There have been people trying to decide just what level 93 was, I'm sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 1 in a 500 year storm

That was a cool storm. But that torch/rain mid-day ruined it for me. Very nice early that morning tho. I remember standing in the driveway at 5am. My parents looking out at me like I was nuts lol.

It sounds like you guys who lived here didn't get the full experience of it. To be in the Apps for that storm is a memory I'll never forget.

I hate that I didn't get experience PD II

I bet that was awesome. I miss PD also. I was living in down around OC. We had nice blizzard conditions for a while before the change to rain around sunset. I did drive up here the next day. That bad boy had 3" of sleet on top. If the coastal would of stayed snow. That could of been a 3'+ event IMO.

It sounds like you guys who lived here didn't get the full experience of it. To be in the Apps for that storm is a memory I'll never forget.

I hate that I didn't get experience PD II

Was the windiest snowstorm I've seen in my lifetime here.... by a long shot.

I work at Xerium in Middletown; I'm sure you've driven past it on I-81 a hundred times.  The ENE wind scoured the ground on the front of the building (facing 81) to the bare grass and drifted the snow  to the roof line.  All the windows and the entrance doors on that side of the building  were buried under 8 feet of snow (above the tops of said doors and windows.  I wish I had pictures of that; it was an incredible sight.

Dynamic storms with thundersnow and wind are more thrilling to me than just about anything else... and it seems like March 1993 had it all.

I was a toddler at the time so I have no memory of it, but to see something like that again would be meteorologically amazing.

Archived