joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not to take away from any of the other subforums and it is not a comparison.

But this group...all of you.  Kill it.  Collectively it's a very, very rare day where this gang of pros, soon to be pros, amateurs and hobbyists miss a forecast.   Everyone plays a part, and if you go back and look at the last xx years...there's a rare day where something breaks to a surprise solution that someone here wasn't on top of.

Today and yesterday case in point.   You guys are the best - we're very fortunate to have the pros, and the resource in general.  Such a great team....   There's a level of technical knowledge, theory, experience, and local climo knowledge that is just indispensable.  It really is.

This is not to take away from any of the other subforums and it is not a comparison.

But this group...all of you.  Kill it.  Collectively it's a very, very rare day where this gang of pros, soon to be pros, amateurs and hobbyists miss a forecast.   Everyone plays a part, and if you go back and look at the last xx years...there's a rare day where something breaks to a surprise solution that someone here wasn't on top of.

Today and yesterday case in point.   You guys are the best - we're very fortunate to have the pros, and the resource in general.  Such a great team....   There's a level of technical knowledge, theory, experience, and local climo knowledge that is just indispensable.  It really is.

Clint, Where is your location?

You have MOOR noted, but I can't find where that is.

new deform band appears to have formed ...sw extension of the Maine band... I am noticing, also, that as these heavier greens (radar) pass over, the wind accelerates to jet sounds through over the trees, and the moderate snow is accompanied by great plumes of lift nebular white... 5 minutes late, lighter snow and just gentle breezes.  Squally in nature...  

It's hard to measure snow here in Ayer, as wind has distributed it variably.  Did a blitz walk an hour ago, and saw some yards with easily exceeding 30", while others perhaps only as much as 18.  I suppose the median is 24" but that isn't absolutely certain what has fallen here. A reliable source in Littleton, town immediately adjacent to mine, was 28" at nooon,... I'm willing to hedge closer to 30 here, as I have 31" in several spots in my front yard. 

I am also impressed at just how cold this system became.  Pervasive middle teens in S+ at times S++ with winds howling over 40mph in gusts is ... I suspect relatively rare even for here. 

Just a special event in Middlesex county.... 

post-904-0-96911500-1422386103_thumb.jpg

post-904-0-43693000-1422386120_thumb.jpg

Archived