Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PYM had 24 at 1:10 Pm

And radar looks like they are getting OES and band combo...Where is Messenger/Clinch .  He is getting crushed last couple hours

I assume PYM is also at 30 now near 4pm.

James as well, he looks to be in upper 20's and not close to stopping for our friend . I'm really happy he cashed in esp w NWS call for 6-10 then Rain (that he said was way to low)   What a Super weenie and he got his dream storm, Enjoy man

thanks, yeah this is in the top two, breaking the 24" mark by the February 1999 storm.  It looks like we can be in the banding until Wednesday afternoon, with OES ending it out.

Great post by a consistently great poster.

We're all very sleep-deprived, but the sentiment is widely shared.

Bickering and AIT-sword fights aside, this is a gem of a spontaneous community. The shared enthusiasm geeking out over model data and obs, and the shared appreciation for meteorologic rarities is a thrill. The analysis of the past 48 hours was yet another great example... some of us (me included) disappear for months, but invariably return and there is instant community with established personalities and idiosyncracies among old-timers, and embrace of any new-comers that want to contribute.

And at some point, I'm curious how everyone balances this hobby with any significant others they may have... man can these epic storms be challenging.

Regarding this storm, not sure which if any model had accurate depiction of this afternoons bands over eastern MA aside from HRRR/RAP. Both have eastern MA snowing until at least 8pm. HRRR slightly more east than RAP. Both lay down another 3-5" or so.

Someone has to tell TWC anchorwoman that it's not "Framington"

Yes, thank you to all the models, discussions, pictures, etc. I don't care if the forecasts verified. The forecasts helped me plan, starting on Saturday and let others make their decisions. Now, some didn't want to listen to "you may not have as much time as you want to work on this project this week" but that's the conversation for tomorrow. 

We certainly don't have 30 inches here and having just shovel the proverbial ton of snow, I can tell you it's just in the too much category. 12 inches? 14 inches? I don't know. 

As for my significant other, well that's the story called "On Call". 

Northerly winds are pouring snow into Falmouth, Sandwich and Barnstable.  Northeasterly winds for Dennis, Harwich and Chatham are pouring in snow from the ocean to the northeast where another storm related band developed and is moving southward slowly.  Whiteout conditions are rampant here, winds are blowing the snow all around.  Making it hard to measure.

Man...I don't know how you guys measure in this stuff all the time. I was out there for 20 mins and it drove me crazy trying to come up with a number.

N side of house...7-8"

S side of house...10-11"

I assume it's somehwere in the middle around 8-9". That band moving toward LCI looks appetizing.

Man...I don't know how you guys measure in this stuff all the time. I was out there for 20 mins and it drove me crazy trying to come up with a number.

N side of house...7-8"

S side of house...10-11"

I assume it's somehwere in the middle around 8-9". That band moving toward LCI looks appetizing.

About the same for me, Brian.  Surprising how little wind, the white pines are covered and at 8F out you know any breeze would clean them right off.

Archived