• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

Man...I don't know how you guys measure in this stuff all the time. I was out there for 20 mins and it drove me crazy trying to come up with a number.

N side of house...7-8"

S side of house...10-11"

I assume it's somehwere in the middle around 8-9". That band moving toward LCI looks appetizing.

I have a great back yard enveloped by trees, rarely drifts, the snowboard was measured and I also took ten additional and average. My current depth is 25 with 2.5 already OTG . Pretty confident in 28.5

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been keeping up with the forum today, so apologies if this has already been posted but I just wanted to point out the 36-48 zone on the NH/MA border. I've never seen that before ... wow! Great storm in Portland. I took a 4-mile snowshoe trek this morning. 1/8 mile vis, 39mph winds, wc below 0F ... good times!StormTotalSnowFcst-8_zpsurwugctp.png

What do we call that? Indigo? Dark Magenta?

Looks like we're done in BOS, radar falling apart.  

Great storm overall, tough to say if this one or Feb 13 was better, but I didn't think I'd see another storm close to Feb 13 again while living up here and this storm proved me wrong. 

Haven't measured but looks like around 24-25" for the final total.  

I haven't been keeping up with the forum today, so apologies if this has already been posted but I just wanted to point out the 36-48 zone on the NH/MA border. I've never seen that before ... wow! Great storm in Portland. I took a 4-mile snowshoe trek this morning. 1/8 mile vis, 39mph winds, wc below 0F ... good times!

StormTotalSnowFcst-8_zpsurwugctp.png

I don't think I've ever seen 36-48". But I can tell you I am 3.8 miles south of that 36-48" blob. Currently at 31.5"

Looks like we're done in BOS, radar falling apart.

Great storm overall, tough to say if this one or Feb 13 was better, but I didn't think I'd see another storm close to Feb 13 again while living up here and this storm proved me wrong.

Haven't measured but looks like around 24-25" for the final total.

not done wait a half hour chief

Great post by a consistently great poster.

We're all very sleep-deprived, but the sentiment is widely shared.

Bickering and AIT-sword fights aside, this is a gem of a spontaneous community. The shared enthusiasm geeking out over model data and obs, and the shared appreciation for meteorologic rarities is a thrill. The analysis of the past 48 hours was yet another great example... some of us (me included) disappear for months, but invariably return and there is instant community with established personalities and idiosyncracies among old-timers, and embrace of any new-comers that want to contribute.

And at some point, I'm curious how everyone balances this hobby with any significant others they may have... man can these epic storms be challenging.

Regarding this storm, not sure which if any model had accurate depiction of this afternoons bands over eastern MA aside from HRRR/RAP. Both have eastern MA snowing until at least 8pm. HRRR slightly more east than RAP. Both lay down another 3-5" or so.

Someone has to tell TWC anchorwoman that it's not "Framington"

I was telling Ray - due to the winds and constant power flickering I never slept.  Haven't done that in many, many moons, maybe the 2005 blizzard. 10 years later it felt 100 times worse today.  I am a mess.  But there was nothing else to do, no place to go, and it is what it is.  I put very little time into this event in the lead up and really only stopped by to make the points of the Euro being wrong.  I don't think I really jumped into this at full bore until 6 or so last night.   I liked that approach, made it more enjoyable.

Let me add to this by saying that this has been probably the best run Storm for us that I can recall.  With the huge number of posters it was nice to see the mix of amateurs/pros give their thoughts.  This is exactly how these storms should go and should be used as a model for future ones.

Maybe we are all learning how to word things - or better yet everyone is realizing and understanding the verbage.  When I say east Im not saying no snow for Pittsfield...I'm saying without saying "I may not mix" or "Ginxy may be the jack not ryan" etc.

I did try something different in terms of persistence.  I made my points on the Euro, defended it pretty adamantly but didn't try to force anyone to agree.   Maybe the better way for me in the future.

Scott and Will nailed it today.  This was a great backlash.  And still is.

Archived