Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got the notification that classes are cancelled again tomorrow, working on getting a ride up to Loon now should be an awesome pow day tomorrow.

Found a spot that I think is untouched and it appears we have just under 30" here. By far my biggest storm ever and #1 of all time not even close(Keep in mind I didn't get into weather until 06-07 ish and missed Boxing Day).

That is joke , a  bad one to.  The guy probably stuck his ruler into the snow and it disappeared , or he opened his bedroom window and measured some where on the roof.

Has James actually measured or does he just look outside and eyeball it? There's nothing in the PNS near 30". Latest West Harwich report was 19.5" at 4pm. Orleans and Brewster are between 1-2ft too. The bigger numbers seem to be in western Barnstable.

Has James actually measured or does he just look outside and eyeball it? There's nothing in the PNS near 30". Latest West Harwich report was 19.5" at 4pm. Orleans and Brewster are between 1-2ft too. The bigger numbers seem to be in western Barnstable.

He had measurements down to the half inch during the storm. It would seem wrong to me to assume he was not sticking a ruler in it to get to the nearest half inch, But who knows?

I don't see anyway anyone out there has 1foot or 15" with the way they have been crushed all day, But only James can answer.

How the HELL can the NWS get any measurements out of Cape Cod for this historic storm tonite. Its sort of a shame.  Who the hell is gonna measure or even try.

Can someone text Phil and ask him to take one for the team or Clinch! (you could make history)

You don't know HOW Much I wish my job was to go through a whole section of New England and measure.  Make my own spots and have a cycle that takes 6 hours.  It's Amazing how so many places Suck at measureing.  Remember the GREAT debotchery in History?  The first Blizzard of 2010 in Baltimore?  Should have had 35" or so and had like 25"?  

Storm is barely moving if at all. Insane.

Yup, we've been getting hammered pretty much all day, with one lull for about an hour around 4:00.  I'm very close to that 36-48 blob that was posted earlier, and there is no way we aren't over 30" at this point, probably easily.  Plow guy has come by 4 times, and we still have almost 2 feet in the driveway since his last pass around 10:00 a.m. due to drifting (and I have over 100 feet of driveway).  It's at least 4 feet deep the entire 40 feet from my front door to the driveway in the front of the house, so we probably won't be seeing that walkway until spring.  

Schools cancelled here tomorrow, so I need the plow guy to get back here tonight, so I can get to the office in North Andover and get some stuff done.  Need to be home with the kids again.  Been watching storms in the area for over 30 years now, and this is the most snow I can remember.  Definitely more than Nemo.  

He had measurements down to the half inch during the storm. It would seem wrong to me to assume he was not sticking a ruler in it to get to the nearest half inch, But who knows?

I don't see anyway anyone out there has 1foot or 15" with the way they have been crushed all day, But only James can answer.

Yeah....idk how I'd measure in that either. Most of it is probably blowing and drifting to Bermuda. I'm just comparing to the obs from spotters.

The definite jack is from that band from Worcester to Middlesex counties...maybe into interior Rockingham and Maine too. That's your legit widespread 30"+ totals. Just insane.

Archived