joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Disco for Manitoba Mauler 01/26/27

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget after hr 48 there is a other band backing in. Doesn't show up there. Boston would catch up verbatim.

Yeah the backlash signal for E MA is strong...so even if they get some subsidence in the heart of it, they will get a lot of snow that drags on into Tues afternoon and Tues night

12z / 18z RGEM with sharp subsidence zone depicted over North Shore / Boston, ~12" flanked by 20-30" in southeast MA and central MA...

all of this subtle bouncing around won't be sorted out before 0z tonight imo, and might even be a nowcast similar to Feb 2013 given difficulty in handling multiple intense pieces of vorticity

That subsidence zone sure is amplified on meso's and somewhat consistent

Wow, NWS ALB right there with BOX going big or goin' home. Hope that works out for W MA but nowcast will be what counts. I agree HUGE bust potential for us all the way back to nyc... qpf for spfd has been 1 to 1.8 or so inches depending on the run etc....account for virga, being a little too wet etc could easily be more like a foot....banking on big ratios in a windy storm is dangerous ....50 mile shift east and it could be six inches...

StormTotalSnowWebFcst.png

Wow, NWS ALB right there with BOX going big or goin' home.  Hope that works out for W MA but nowcast will be what counts. 

StormTotalSnowWebFcst.png

That precip cutoff is too drastic.  That's like 1" qpf differential over 40 mi. from NW to SE.  I can't see that happening with the storm this big and juiced.

There's your gradient.  Its going to be there and it'll be real.  Just where does it set-up on the western side.  That's like a 1-2 foot forecast drop over 2-3 counties in width. 

Model trends are actually intensifying gradually, lower heights on RGEM for example at 48h. If this storm followed an ECM track with the RGEM upper trend superimposed 50 miles west, it would max out amounts all over western New England, Long Island and NYC, n NJ, so this may be why NWS has set the bar so high.

There will be interesting details and variations, but basically a huge storm for the entire region with very few likely to see less than two feet. Local maxima could be 40-45 inches before drifting. Expect frequent thunder-snow Tuesday 15z to Wed 03z. Wind gusts may overperform gradient due to the rapid deepening expected Monday night into Tuesday morning.

T-shirt weather here, perhaps almost as unlikely as this storm. Results to rival 1888? Possibly.

I don't buy such a widespread swatch of 24"+. No doubt those places places that get into the best banding are going to get hit hard...but huge bust potential, especially back toward NYC. Kinda surprised Upton went ballz to the wall back that way. Seems like they're setting themselves up for some backlash should NYC only get 12. For CT I'm thinking 16-24", with 24-30" east of the river. Certainly some 30"+ amounts a very real possibility, but I don't think it's wise to try to nail those down until things really get underway.

I'm going 15-20 here right now, I don't want to go crazy without support beyond the UKMET/Euro so I'm just pumping amounts above most of the other guidance.  I don't like the RGEM not wanting to bring the heavy snows back into NYC, its track is not necessarily east of the Euro by a ton but it seems to think the heavy bands will be mostly confined to CT/RI/MA and there will be some sort of subsidence on the SW portion of the band...of course it still drops almost 15 inches anyway and its out of range.  I'm not sure I'd have gone 24-36 either without the support or in range of the high res models yet, 12-18 scares everyone effectively 48 hours out.

Archived