SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Storm Disco for Manitoba Mauler 01/26/27

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty confident BOS does really well. Not worried about all these maps and model runs. At this point it's just semantics

Yeah.

Some seem to be like 'wtf it's a historic storm just enjoy it, don't worry about jackpotting' - I disagree. I think of course I would like to be in a jackpot. Everyone does at heart. But my true interest lies in trying to find out where the banding and localized jacks will occur. These massive storms don't happen often. This is an opportunity to study many different things right now. Trying to nail down the heavier jacks is extremely tough and I'm very much mesmerized by the situation.

This is alarmingly similar to 78' in some ways. The winds will be high, snow totals will be off the charts, there will be coastal flooding. I actually think the snowfall total map from that storm will not be far off from the impending blizzard coming tomorrow. I was naturally not even close to being alive for 78'. How does the impacts compare from that storm to this one? 

Yeah, agreed. It's tough to get 24"+ over suhc a large area. I'd want to see almost uniform 2.5-3"+ qpf over the whole region.

The storm does stall in a great spot for SNE which helps but I'm not confident enough to forecast those amounts.

And ... I think we are getting collectively (not you per se...) caught up in the drama of the thing. 

I mean really, half those numbers with winds gusting to 40 is paralyzing enough.  I'm just saying, if something less than histrionic verifies, I hope to god that those that like to visit the site won't have to wade through a festoon of meltdown meaninglessness... 

Also, guys, if you go and check out the satellite wv and radar loops in the TV, that is a ginormous rotational entity. It's a like a big meso it's torque is that obvious.  I really think that much rotational dynamic settling into an erstwhile amplifying longwave trough .. it really seems "backing off" solutions should be very suspect at this point in time.  I won't worry about these 18z solutions is all -

Would anyone be able to comment on the prospect of OES in eastern MA tomorrow? Is that still a possibility with an eastern fetch? Many thanks.

Models seem to think so, and Harvey Leonard mentioned light stuff over the cape/south shore.  Not much, all things considered, until the main energy starts dominating the area.

Does it even make any sense to have such massive margins?  I mean, 1-3 or 3-6 versus 24-36...  I feel like one of these is not like the other.

It will be very difficult to accurately measure snow in this storm.  With winds as high as they are forecasted and temperatures in the teens and 20's away from the immediate south shore your going to have bare ground in some places and snow to car roofs in others.  Your going to hear of all kinds of amounts.  Best place for a snowboard is probably 100 feet downwind of a forested area to your north east.  In urban areas with houses close wind funnels will give you all kinds of amounts.  Also with a long duration storm the board must be measured and cleared every 6 hours.

It will be very difficult to accurately measure snow in this storm.  With winds as high as they are forecasted and temperatures in the teens and 20's away from the immediate south shore your going to have bare ground in some places and snow to car roofs in others.  Your going to hear of all kinds of amounts.  Best place for a snowboard is probably 100 feet downwind of a forested area to your north east.  In urban areas with houses close wind funnels will give you all kinds of amounts.  Also with a long duration storm the board must be measured and cleared every 6 hours.

Makes sense in those terms, I'm just worried about how the public reacts to such huge margins.  Maybe introduce a "drift index?"  :mapsnow:

Kevin to ORH is going to just get absolutely crushed I think.

Agreed. I think there's a relative -- emphasis on relative -- screw zone between there and a coastal front which may be where snows also linger strongest and longest. A little nervous, but whatever. Looks like a fun storm.

Archived