• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Disco for Manitoba Mauler 01/26/27

Damage In Tolland

Model trends are actually intensifying gradually, lower heights on RGEM for example at 48h. If this storm followed an ECM track with the RGEM upper trend superimposed 50 miles west, it would max out amounts all over western New England, Long Island and NYC, n NJ, so this may be why NWS has set the bar so high.

There will be interesting details and variations, but basically a huge storm for the entire region with very few likely to see less than two feet. Local maxima could be 40-45 inches before drifting. Expect frequent thunder-snow Tuesday 15z to Wed 03z. Wind gusts may overperform gradient due to the rapid deepening expected Monday night into Tuesday morning.

T-shirt weather here, perhaps almost as unlikely as this storm. Results to rival 1888? Possibly.

x rated material right there.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan's station going 15-30" for the entire state. That's a little bit punting IMO but I guess it's still early.

I disagree. We simply aren't going to have a handle on where the best banding sets up until we're underway with the storm. Those under the best banding can hit 30" pretty easy. Those who miss out will be at the low end. Either way it's a lot of snow and high impact. But they could very easily put out a forecast of 12-20" for WCT and 20-30" for ECT and it verify the exact opposite. I think the big range conveys the uncertainty to the public but still emphasizes some places are gonna get slammed. If it was a forecast of 1.5-2.5" of rain for the state, would you feel the same?

Think about how in 48 hours we went from models showing flurries to a crippling blizzard. We have a long way to go in the model world.

Think about how in 48 hours we went from models showing flurries to a crippling blizzard. We have a long way to go in the model world.

Long way to go in the forum world too because this is painful. It happens every single winter. Maybe one of these years it'll be fixed. 

Won't lie, it would be frustrating to end up "between" the band and coastal front, in what looks like a dead zone on a few models.

I will sacrifice the necessary number of virgins this evening to guard against this. And scabies. It's kind of a multi-purpose spell.

Don't forget after hr 48 there is a other band backing in. Doesn't show up there. Boston would catch up verbatim.

Catch up?  Even if not its still a pounding snowstorm with over 1" of QPF.  They will be fine, but either way it's still a complete beast of a storm.  I feel the stakes have been put so high, some are going to freak out if they *only* get 1-1.5" of QPF or something.

The 24-36" forecasts are sort of over a ridiculous aerial coverage, setting expectations very high for this storm.  That's a bigger forecast than February 2013.

Ugh...such a tough forecast here. I hate being on the western fringe of these coastals all the time. It's basically our version of trying to forecast the rain/snow line on the coast.

The 12z Euro clobbers W MA, W CT, down to NYC with a deformation band that basically sets up and rots over us, while the 18z GFS and NAM are a hair east and keeps us out of the best of it.

So, will this be a 12/26/10, 1/12/11 or 10/29/11 redux or will this be like Nemo and the firehose storms in 2013 where I got robbed? The former 3 were all great storms here, but the latter 2 were classic screw jobs. Nemo was especially painful watching the death band pivot northwest to a point and then stopping just short of here before beginning its collapse to the SE.

I'm already feeling a bit like MPM and having my share of QPF worries. I may need get myself and as many people as I can to go outside and blow as hard as they can toward the west. It might just work, lol.

Archived