• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Disco for Manitoba Mauler 01/26/27

Damage In Tolland

• Monday NightSnow with areas of blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 24. Windy, with a northeast wind 20 to 25 mph increasing to 26 to 31 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

TuesdaySnow with areas of blowing snow before 4pm, then snow likely with areas of blowing snow after 4pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 25. Windy, with a north wind 24 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 49 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

The P & C forecasts are wild.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those 24 to 36 inch maps are incredible to see

I don't think they are very realistic, honestly...  I think 18 to 24" might even be a tad high, but I would stop there, and then say "maybe"  30" in some isolated areas.  It's really hard to get that much storm output over that much geographical area, and as these 18z runs are coming in ...or shall we say, panicky looking (ha), there's obviously enough uncertainty here to go shy of those exotic numbers over such a large area ... and strongly word if you need to bias it more. Now, 50, 000,000 people are dusting off their yardsticks and it's just going to give fuel to Meteorological mockery that pervades culture.  

I meant in relation to every other WFO. I think they're pretty spot on. Might be a spot 24" here and there, but not enough to warrant its own contour.

I would rather see them have to bump up then go down, But if 0z models hold or shift the deformation band higher qpf further north then, Sure, Bump them up

I don't think they are very realistic, honestly...  I think 18 to 24" might even be a tad high, but I would stop there, and then say "maybe"  30" in some isolated areas.  It's really hard to get that much storm output over that much geographical area, and as these 18z runs are coming in ...or shall we say, panicky looking (ha), there's obviously enough uncertainty here to go shy of those exotic numbers of such a large area. 

Yeah, agreed. It's tough to get 24"+ over suhc a large area. I'd want to see almost uniform 2.5-3"+ qpf over the whole region.

The storm does stall in a great spot for SNE which helps but I'm not confident enough to forecast those amounts.

Ugh.  What a year to go to college in Oklahoma.  60's every day this week...  

I feel like BOX isn't quite on the banding bandwagon (so to speak) quite yet, which makes sense due to the bouncing about.  The widespread 24-36 must be them guessing at that screw zone.  But remembering Nemo, someone is going to pull 40+ out of this, with such banding and moisture.  I'd bet good money its somewhere on a line from ORH to Nashua, down to the CT coast.  Sheesh.

Yeah, agreed. It's tough to get 24"+ over suhc a large area. I'd want to see almost uniform 2.5-3"+ qpf over the whole region.

The storm does stall in a great spot for SNE which helps but I'm not confident enough to forecast those amounts.

There's exactly 0% chance of those widespread 2-3 ft maps verifying, but it makes sense because there will surely be pockets of those amounts in there. Wouldn't be wise to try and pin those down yet so might as well broad brush and prepare the public.

Most people dont know the difference between 18" and 30" anyway...they just see alot of snow. Get the word out this could be multiple feet and let it play out. 

I don't think they are very realistic, honestly...  I think 18 to 24" might even be a tad high, but I would stop there, and then say "maybe"  30" in some isolated areas.  It's really hard to get that much storm output over that much geographical area, and as these 18z runs are coming in ...or shall we say, panicky looking (ha), there's obviously enough uncertainty here to go shy of those exotic numbers of such a large area. 

If you didn't clear a snowboard every 6 hours what do you think the reading would be if 24" fell with 10-12/1 ratios?

Wow - that is rough. Is it possible to rent a hotel room near the hospital? Also - congrats! First one?

#4. my third boy. the ironic thing is when my wife told me she was pregnant and what the due date was, the first words out of my mouth were "great now we can have a blizzard baby". I was conceived during the blizzard of 1978 I always thought that was really cool but it's a lot easier to conceive then give birth during a blizzard lol.

Archived