Newest Member
    Toothache
Storm Disco for Manitoba Mauler 01/26/27

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classic DT:

"Undoubtedly because we live in the age of DISinformation as opposed to the age of science and information... some brain dead subhuman in the mainstream media is going to declare that this 'eye" is actually a "winter hurricane". It's nothing like that but you can rest assured that anyone giving you that information simply has no idea what they are talking about."

No one is going to figure out the mins vs the maxes until it actually happens. Except I can tell you that from here to Pittsburgh, NH to Jackman, ME will be the New England minimum, but that's how these systems go. No biggie. Once south of like a Rutland to Laconia line, it's anyone's game.

I think the dual jackpots makes sense from a climo standpoint, but where will those be? But climo usually says one jack near the best low level forcing (often on the coast) closer to the low, then another where the ML forcing lingers the longest. It makes sense. But where those exact spots are you won't know until game time.

A CF doesnt have to mean it's rain on the other side...sometimes it does, but in this case it isn't. Same deal in Boxing Day and Jan 2011 and many other storms...Feb '78 too. IT just meas that is the spot where the sfc temps are tightly packed in a gradient.

Very true... and in this case, it's probably more like aggregate types that delineate.   You're parachuting on the seaward side, ...maybe mixing or even flipping once in awhile on the actual arm of the Cape, but west of the boundary it's sand and small shattered aggregates going sideways, with street lamps reduced to ailing orbs...

Very true... and in this case, it's probably more like aggregate types that delineate. You're parachuting on the seaward side, ...maybe mixing or even flipping once in awhile on the actual arm of the Cape, but west of the boundary it's sand and small shattered aggregates going sideways, with street lamps reduced to ailing orbs...

I don't think that's true. I think right at the cf and immediately west (<5 miles) you're parachuting in heaven while east your doing ok but struggling with ratios.

Classic DT:

"Undoubtedly because we live in the age of DISinformation as opposed to the age of science and information... some brain dead subhuman in the mainstream media is going to declare that this 'eye" is actually a "winter hurricane". It's nothing like that but you can rest assured that anyone giving you that information simply has no idea what they are talking about."

He's actually entirely correct with that cynicism, because it's true -- it is waay too easy for media, press, the twit sphere ...what-have-you, to broadcast than it is for them to broadcast AFTER they've vetted the veracity of what they are saying.  

We live in an age of conviction and/or convicted by public opinion because of that too, which is unfortunate... But it does extend into the Meteorological field, because let's face it:  As this storm will demonstrate, everyone living is affect (...if not effected) by weather events, so it's going to blaze up the media circuits with quite the fervor over the next 24 hours, and it's going to be downright amusing at times what we hear. 

I don't think that's true. I think right at the cf and immediately west (<5 miles) you're parachuting in heaven while east your doing ok but struggling with ratios.

Not always though...remember Jan 2011? BOS was on the eastward side of the CF for much of the storm and got walloped with 15" of paste and plenty of qpf.

But you are right that sometimes it can be crappier snowfall rates on the seaward side.

My point was "aggregate delineating" -- not what actually happens. That was an afterthought.

But we'll see... I think it could, looking at the soundings, be parachuting on the E side.  This is some very arctic air (only delayed/offset by timing) moving in, and when this storm backs NW, the wind will be anomalously N relative to on-going heavier precipitation.  The salted air and minimal oceanic warmth input can get those babies to clump rather efficiently...

No one is going to figure out the mins vs the maxes until it actually happens. Except I can tell you that from here to Pittsburgh, NH to Jackman, ME will be the New England minimum, but that's how these systems go. No biggie. Once south of like a Rutland to Laconia line, it's anyone's game.

I think the dual jackpots makes sense from a climo standpoint, but where will those be? But climo usually says one jack near the best low level forcing (often on the coast) closer to the low, then another where the ML forcing lingers the longest. It makes sense. But where those exact spots are you won't know until game time.

To re-iterate ... how could anyone when this...

THE 12Z ECMWF, 12Z NAM, AND 12Z GFS HAVE WHAT APPEAR TO BE CONVECTIVE FEEDBACK BULL'S EYES CONTAMINATING THEIR SOLUTIONS --

MEZ018>028-NHZ010-013-014-260500-

/O.UPG.KGYX.WS.A.0004.150127T0300Z-150128T0900Z/

/O.NEW.KGYX.BZ.W.0001.150127T0300Z-150128T0900Z/

INTERIOR YORK-INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-KENNEBEC-

INTERIOR WALDO-COASTAL YORK-COASTAL CUMBERLAND-SAGADAHOC-LINCOLN-

KNOX-COASTAL WALDO-STRAFFORD-INTERIOR ROCKINGHAM-

COASTAL ROCKINGHAM-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SANFORD...BERWICK...NORTH WINDHAM...

GORHAM...BRIDGTON...LEWISTON-AUBURN...LIVERMORE FALLS...AUGUSTA...

WATERVILLE...WINTERPORT...UNITY...BIDDEFORD...SACO...

OLD ORCHARD BEACH...KITTERY...PORTLAND...SOUTH PORTLAND...

WESTBROOK...BATH...TOPSHAM...BOOTHBAY HARBOR...WISCASSET...

WALDOBORO...CAMDEN...ROCKLAND...THOMASTON...BELFAST...

LINCOLNVILLE...ROCHESTER...DOVER...SALEM...DERRY...EXETER...

PORTSMOUTH...HAMPTON

346 PM EST SUN JAN 25 2015

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM MONDAY TO 4 AM EST

WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM MONDAY TO 4 AM EST

WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 18 TO 24 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN LATE MONDAY IN SOUTHERN NEW

HAMPSHIRE...AND BY EARLY TUESDAY FOR THE MOUNTAINS INTO

CENTRAL MAINE. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES DURING THE DAY

TUESDAY. SNOW WILL WIND DOWN LATE TUESDAY...BUT LINGER INTO

WEDNESDAY.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LOW VISIBILITIES WILL LEAD TO

DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES...8 TO 21 ABOVE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE

EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS

AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT

CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF

YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET

STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

Archived