• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January Banter Thread

H2O

I wouldn't call myself a denier (not that you did), as I acknowledge that the Earth has warmed slightly. The question is how much have humans contributed, and, perhaps if this warming will be reversed by natural cooling.

The alarmists are the problem. They are turning more people away from acknowledging that the slight warming is not a lie. Their constant hype of everyday events makes them look like complete jokes, and gives science a bad name. Your statement about alarmists "dialing it down" in the next 2 decades is wrong. They need to stop now. They are a big part of the problem.

There's a very strong consensus that global warming is primarily caused by humans.... and any natural cooling is unlikely to happen at a time when CO2 levels are going through the roof.... at best it would slightly slow down the warming.

I don't like the alarmist hype of everyday events, linking California's drought, Sandy, or March 2012 to global warming... it's annoying and not very scientifically sound, no better than saying that Snowmageddon or the Polar Vortex™ prove that global warming is BS. But the real problem is the fact that there huge industries in this country that spend billions on propaganda and lobbying to convince the general public that the greatest environmental challenge of the 21st century is just a scam.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a very strong consensus that global warming is primarily caused by humans.... and any natural cooling is unlikely to happen at a time when CO2 levels are going through the roof.... at best it would slightly slow down the warming.

I don't like the alarmist hype of everyday events, linking California's drought, Sandy, or March 2012 to global warming... it's annoying and not very scientifically sound, no better than saying that Snowmageddon or the Polar Vortex™ prove that global warming is BS. But the real problem is the fact that there huge industries in this country that spend billions on propaganda and lobbying to convince the general public that the greatest environmental challenge of the 21st century is just a scam.

And the biggest alarmist continues to live in a mansion and fly around on private jets.  The climate change "rally" was a doozy.  Hundreds of thousands of activists burning more fossil fuels to get to NYC than I would use in a year of commuting to work, all to advocate what?  I'm not a denier by any stretch.  The last thing I would want is to live on a warming Earth (it's already WAYYYY TOO WARM for me).  It is much too simplistic to categorize all skeptics as deniers.  There is a healthy contingent, like myself, who recognize AGW, but pragmatically understand the economic damage that would result from some of the policies advocated by the likes of Gore, etc. to combat it.

CO2 levels have gone up and down before, so why is this time different? I understand that the current CO2 levels are not 100% natural, but who's to say they won't naturally go back down? Only time will tell..

6temp.chart.n.co2.jpg

ji meltdown coming soon.....not sure yet but stay tuned

Dude, get your sh*t together and stop acting like a noob.

It's 8 days out, you've been around long enough not to give up based on that alone.   Remember just 24 hours ago how the Euro had us getting raked...and now look at it.  See how fast it can change?  Get it together.

And the biggest alarmist continues to live in a mansion and fly around on private jets.  The climate change "rally" was a doozy.  Hundreds of thousands of activists burning more fossil fuels to get to NYC than I would use in a year of commuting to work, all to advocate what?  I'm not a denier by any stretch.  The last thing I would want is to live on a warming Earth (it's already WAYYYY TOO WARM for me).  It is much too simplistic to categorize all skeptics as deniers.  There is a healthy contingent, like myself, who recognize AGW, but pragmatically understand the economic damage that would result from the policies advocated by the likes of Gore, etc.  

Nowhere did I categorize all skeptics as deniers... there are a number of skeptics who don't fully buy the most alarming global warming scenerios (sea level rise flooding NYC and other coastal cities, disastrous hurricanes, no snow in DC, etc), but still believe that the world is warming and humans are a significant cause.

CO2 levels have gone up and down before, so why is this time different? I understand that the current CO2 levels are not 100% natural, but who's to say they won't naturally go back down? Only time will tell..

6temp.chart.n.co2.jpg

CO2 levels are changing at a much faster pace now, faster than what a lot of the biosphere can adapt to .... 150 years or so is just a blip on the geological time scale.

Which comment? I primarily called out the deniers.

And gave alarmists a two decade pass to be alarmists. Pretty sure they're both about the same on the scale. Continuing to polarize the issue helps no one. 

And gave alarmists a two decade pass to be alarmists. Pretty sure they're both about the same on the scale. Continuing to polarize the issue helps no one. 

I was trying to say that once people stop denying AGW and start realizing it's a huge ****ing problem, then everyone can be less polarized and work on solving the problem or at least mitigating and adapting. I hope it doesn't take another 20 years.

Nowhere did I categorize all skeptics as deniers... there are a number of skeptics who don't fully buy the most alarming global warming scenerios (sea level rise flooding NYC and other coastal cities, disastrous hurricanes, no snow in DC, etc), but still believe that the world is warming and humans are the main cause.

And I didn't mean to imply that you did.  I really intended my comment to be about the polarization / politicization of the issue.  Ian did it much better than I.

I was trying to say that once people stop denying AGW and start realizing it's a huge ****ing problem, then everyone can be less polarized and work on solving the problem or at least mitigating and adapting. I hope it doesn't take another 20 years.

I'm sure after 20 more years of fighting everyone will join hands and sing. Sound theory. 

Archived