bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the repetition that doesn't make sense. The non-banter threads, I thought, were for analysis. Does anyone need twice-daily reminders from four or five posters about how this winter will suck until the end? Is there still lingering confusion about those posters' opinions about the season that must be cleared up every day? 

It's the repetition that doesn't make sense. The non-banter threads, I thought, were for analysis. Does anyone need twice-daily reminders from four or five posters about how this winter will suck until the end? Is there still lingering confusion about those posters' opinions about the season that must be cleared up every day? 

I prefer half-hourly emotional status check-ins.

Geeze louise, one bad model run from Goofus' twin brother and people start jumping ship. I'm not sure about Para, but the old GFS was well known for over emphasizing northern stream dominance and having a tough handle on southern stream events. 

Lets relax for a second and wait for Dr. Yes to come in.

I was an avid skier from about 12 years old. Did a trip to steamboat and Alta in high school and freaked out. During college I went to Copper Mountain and Vail because a high school friend moved out there when he was 18. Told me to take a year off of life after college and join him. So I did. And a 1 year plan turned into 7. Best 7 years of my life. The collective damage to my body told me to knock it off or else so I moved back. Never a serious injury (still not sure how I avoided that) but torn rotators and MCL in my knee was enough.

The funny thing is you will still get bummed and complain during bad years or months out there. Biggest year was 95-96 with 450" on the mountain and it STILL wasn't enough. It's never enough.

My 1 year of working out in highlands ranch (Denver suburb) almost turned into a full move. Thats how much I liked it. I can ski but mostly loved how when it snowed it was powder. No sleet or rain. Then the next day it's sunny and often mild. But it's not just the mountains. I liked denver and Boulder and the burbs are nice. It's a great area. Only issue is that it's really far from another big city and obviously no day drives to the beach like here. The seasons aren't as pronounced as they are here either. Minus the fact that we suck at snow, the traffic, the cost of living, and the attitudes, I actually love it here. The issues mentioned may push me out one day though but I don't know where else Id go lol. Anyway, colorado is great.

There's ample support of a strong clipper next week followed by the world's best long-range forecast system (EPS) predicting a coastal low. January has a good chance of being well-below normal temperature wise. But yeah, let's jump:

Jumping-Off-a-Cliff-Reaction-Gif.gif

I was kidding. I actually think we might score a storm at some point. Been here long enough to know we've been pretty solid in the temps department for snow. We've just been too dry. Mostly I'm just sick of these 40 degree days without any storms around to track. Cold/dry has mostly been the rule this winter so far. Since the former is harder to get here I would think the dry pattern might change soon. Or it could just be that...a cold/dry winter. We shall see.

Looks like Tom Tasselmeyer is going full denier on twitter over the 2014 is the warmest year on record news.  

Can't imagine what JB's looks like...oh...I have to look.  

lolz  I was right

Joe Bastardi @BigJoeBastardi

Amazing how Mars has climate change with atmosphere about the same %co2 as Venus,but much less dense. Isnt that special?

Looks like Tom Tasselmeyer is going full denier on twitter over the 2014 is the warmest year on record news.  

Can't imagine what JB's looks like...oh...I have to look.  

Every other tweet on my feed has been about the warm 2014....for like 8 hours now. NASA and NOAA are pimpin the shizz out of it. It's annoying.

Every other tweet on my feed has been about the warm 2014....for like 8 hours now. NASA and NOAA are pimpin the shizz out of it. It's annoying.

AGW denial is still out of control and getting in the way of solving the problem... I get that alarmists can be annoying but nothing is as bad as denying reality.

Once the deniers fade away in the next decade or two (when warming will likely be more obvious), the alarmists can dial it down.

Warmest year by how much? I don't follow this stuff closely.

Slightly warmer, I think.

There've been several years warmer than 1998, but all have been only marginally warmer. When 1998 set the record, it smashed far above the old record... but since then the warmest years have been along the same lines, which is why it appears that there's been some pause or hiatus of global warming in the past 15 years.

None of this stuff really matters in the long run though, the long term trend is what matters.

AGW denial is still out of control and getting in the way of solving the problem... I get that alarmists can be annoying but nothing is as bad as denying reality.

Once the deniers fade away in the next decade or two (when warming will likely be more obvious), the alarmists can dial it down.

While I agree some of the over-hyping and "pimping" of stories can get annoying, I find it even more annoying when various columnists such as George Will continue to dishonestly point to certain warm years (such as 1998, which was the record for awhile) and essentially say "see, it's been cooling ever since so AGW is a lie!"  Or they point to shorter term trends that appear to flat-line or go down somewhat.  That's perhaps over-simplifying what people like him say, but it's the gist of their argument all too often.

Here's a link to an interesting set of plots.  The first one makes the point of very clearly I think:

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/10/15/1014151/ten-charts-that-make-clear-the-planet-just-keeps-warming/?mobile=nc

I wouldn't call myself a denier (not that you did), as I acknowledge that the Earth has warmed slightly. The question is how much have humans contributed, and, perhaps if this warming will be reversed by natural cooling.

The alarmists are the problem. They are turning more people away from acknowledging that the slight warming is not a lie. Their constant hype of everyday events makes them look like complete jokes, and gives science a bad name. Your statement about alarmists "dialing it down" in the next 2 decades is wrong. They need to stop now. They are a big part of the problem.

Archived