• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

H2O

gone are the days, I guess, where the older generation was tougher than the younger :cry:

It just seems that times have changed for a variety if reasons. There is considerably more traffic on the roads, more workers commute long distances, and everything is just spread out throughout the region more so than before. The road system is taxed to the limit on a good day in the metro regions, but when you add snow to the mix then it is complete gridlock and an extreme strain on first responders etc dealing with the fallout of 100s upon 100s of accidents. The accidents then effectively shut down all avenues of transportation for a significant portion of the day. If it is expected to snow during rush hour and accumulate then schools systems/ local businesses need to do their part in removing 1000s of people off the roads during rush periods so that they might be accessible to first responders and highway crews.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good stuff, Don.  It is dishonest of the school officials to lay this on the forecast.  With how things are today, technology wise, there was plenty of indication yesterday morning that things were going to be worse.  They had all that info available to them to make an informed decision.  They just didn't want a 2" storm to close things.  It was a predetermined mindset.

Agreed.

How do I keep a running tally of my snowfall amounts like others do?

Edit your signature.  Click on your name on the header bar at the top of the screen and then select "My Profile".  Then on the next page click "Edit My Profile" and then choose "Signature".  

Is there a reason they basically just pretreat with chemicals and not rock salt around here? The chemicals basically did nothing...rock salt easily would have prevented the big issue yesterday with ice quickly forming after the chemicals were quickly diluted. With rock salt you can get more salt to keep the base road liquid.

Edit your signature.  Click on your name on the header bar at the top of the screen and then select "My Profile".  Then on the next page click "Edit My Profile" and then choose "Signature".

Thank you.

Perfectly said The roads are taxed when it is a good day!!

It just seems that times have changed for a variety if reasons. There is considerably more traffic on the roads, more workers commute long distances, and everything is just spread out throughout the region more so than before. The road system is taxed to the limit on a good day in the metro regions, but when you add snow to the mix then it is complete gridlock and an extreme strain on first responders etc dealing with the fallout of 100s upon 100s of accidents. The accidents then effectively shut down all avenues of transportation for a significant portion of the day. If it is expected to snow during rush hour and accumulate then schools systems/ local businesses need to do their part in removing 1000s of people off the roads during rush periods so that they might be accessible to first responders and highway crews.

In order to allow parents, students, and employees sufficient time to take proper precautions in what are expected to be very cold temperatures and to ensure that buildings and buses are ready to go in atypical inclement weather conditions, all Anne Arundel County Public Schools will open two hours late tomorrow, January 8. There will be no morning half-day pre-kindergarten or ECI classes. Students in full-day pre-kindergarten classes will have class, and should report two hours later than normal. Parents should ensure that their children are dressed appropriately for what are expected to be extremely cold conditions.

10398028_660328514035980_112932363692391

Just post the same. Even in areas of SVA.

Anne Arundel County Public Schools (AACPS)

9 mins · 

In order to allow parents, students, and employees sufficient time to take proper precautions in what are expected to be very cold temperatures and to ensure that buildings and buses are ready to go in atypical inclement weather conditions, all Anne Arundel County Public Schools will open two hours late tomorrow, January 8. There will be no morning half-day pre-kindergarten or ECI classes. Students in full-day pre-kindergarten classes will have class, and should report two hours later than normal. Parents should ensure that their children are dressed appropriately for what are expected to be extremely cold conditions.

Archived