Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is why Loudoun is closed tomorrow

Loudoun County Public Schools Closed January 8th; Administrative Offices Open at 10 AM. All student activities are cancelled.

Loudoun County Public Schools will be closed on Thursday, January 8th. Administrative offices will open at 10 a.m. All student activities are cancelled.

This decision was made after assessing the roads and sidewalks throughout the county. Many roads and sidewalks are not ready for travel and forecasted temperatures remain below freezing. Thank you and have a pleasant evening.

http://www.loudoun.k12.va.us/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=1&ModuleInstanceID=7221&ViewID=047E6BE3-6D87-4130-8424-D8E4E9ED6C2A&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=207858&PageID=1

They still check their precip can on the regular. Imagine having to go outside in the wee hours of the morning in 0 vis with the winds howling and chills at -80.

I think I read when I was there that (at least in the old days) they only went outside tethered.

If you were to step outside in 0 vis, 100 mph wind, and -80+ wc, your life would be in danger immediately.

In order to allow parents, students still alive, and employees sufficient time to take proper precautions in what are expected to be very cold temperatures and to ensure that buildings and buses are ready to go in atypical inclement weather conditions, all Anne Arundel County Public Schools will open two hours late tomorrow, January 8. There will be no morning half-day pre-kindergarten or ECI classes. Students in full-day pre-kindergarten classes will have class, and should report two hours later than normal. Parents should ensure that their children are dressed appropriately for what are expected to be extremely cold conditions.

fyp

I think I read when I was there that (at least in the old days) they only went outside tethered.

If you were to step outside in 0 vis, 100 mph wind, and -80+ wc, your life would be in danger immediately.

During my years In the Rockies we hiked the ridges and backcountry skied often. Wind was always the biggest issue. 40-50mph on the ridgelines was manageable even with temps in the single digits. Proper dress worked fine for an hour or 2. Got my ass handed to me off Loveland pass once when the jet nailed us mid hike with 70+ mph gusts. Brought me to my knees for nearly half an hour. Zero vis in blowing snow and knocked you down when you tried to stand.

Thank goodness it let up. Never hiked down so fast in my life. Mission abort and new high level respect for those conditions. The conditions on mw are without question instantly life threatening. 70mph is kids play compared to 100.

I won't lie I am a bit surprised Loudoun decided to close. However, the side roads are still very icy and with the extreme temps and wind chills I can see why.

Yep. Playing worst half of the year. Still time though. Illinios needs to miss some shots. Everything they throw up is going in.

Barring a miracle, they're going down. All good teams have a flat night when a statistical easy win becomes a loss. They probably need it to keep them sharp going forward.

Barring a miracle, they're going down. All good teams have a flat night when a statistical easy win becomes a loss. They probably need it to keep them sharp going forward.

Playing by far their worst game of the year, they probably thought this was an easy win. I can't bear to watch this debacle much longer.

During my years In the Rockies we hiked the ridges and backcountry skied often. Wind was always the biggest issue. 40-50mph on the ridgelines was manageable even with temps in the single digits. Proper dress worked fine for an hour or 2. Got my ass handed to me off Loveland pass once when the jet nailed us mid hike with 70+ mph gusts. Brought me to my knees for nearly half an hour. Zero vis in blowing snow and knocked you down when you tried to stand.

Thank goodness it let up. Never hiked down so fast in my life. Mission abort and new high level respect for those conditions. The conditions on mw are without question instantly life threatening. 70mph is kids play compared to 100.

When I went out to visit son on an extended weekend before Christmas I got the bright idea to go on a short hike while he worked one day.

So I picked Ptarmigan Pass trail for two reasons, it was close and it was within sight/sound of I-70, just in case I did something stupid. All went well first hour, then I got the bright idea to 'cross country' across one spot...oops, up over my knees quickly and almost to waist, needless to say I returned to the trail pretty fast and stayed there! I experienced those winds when I left too, they were calling for 20+ of snow overnight/next day and I really couldn't afford to miss my flight so I left around 10 pm and was gonna sleep in car at the Conoco/Wendys/DD place beside the airport rental places. Wasn't too bad heading up out of Dillon/Silverthorne about 4-5 inches of snow and roads were 'cookie dough' to slushy, through tunnel and came almost to a stop at eastern end and found out why when I exited! Winds had to be blowing 50 mph and you couldn't see 50 feet in front of you. I followed the brake lights in front of me all the way to the Bakerville exit at 10 mph. It finally got a bit better at Georgetown and by the time I got to Denver it was raining. That wind/snow combo was just wild up on top.

Archived