Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got this email from the Arlington County Manager.....just blames the weather forecasters :axe: :axe: :

Memo from County Manager Barbara M. Donnellan

As is probably now clear to you all, the weather forecasts for today’s snow event got it wrong. We knew yesterday that there would be snow falling this morning. It was predicted to be a minor snow event. We pre-treated the roads in anticipation of less than an inch of snow falling this morning.

What was expected to be pretty much a non-event here has turned into a bigger deal, with more snow, coupled with icy conditions, causing hazardous road conditions across the region.  By 9:50 a.m., Arlington had 2.6 inches of snow -- and it was still falling. The outer suburbs were hit harder.  I reevaluated the situation this morning, based on the changing conditions,  and by 7:50 a.m., we had a message out to all employees that the County would open on time, with unscheduled leave. I am sorry that the shifting weather conditions made it difficult to make that decision sooner. Our crews – and the crews of every jurisdiction across the Metro Region – are working hard to clear the roads.

Stay safe out there,

Barbara Donnellan

Just got this email from the Arlington County Manager.....just blames the weather forecasters :axe: :axe: :

As is probably now clear to you all, the weather forecasts for today’s snow event got it wrong. We knew yesterday that there would be snow falling this morning. It was predicted to be a minor snow event. We pre-treated the roads in anticipation of less than an inch of snow falling this morning.

What was expected to be pretty much a non-event here has turned into a bigger deal, with more snow, coupled with icy conditions, causing hazardous road conditions across the region.  By 9:50 a.m., Arlington had 2.6 inches of snow -- and it was still falling. The outer suburbs were hit harder.  I reevaluated the situation this morning, based on the changing conditions,  and by 7:50 a.m., we had a message out to all employees that the County would open on time, with unscheduled leave. I am sorry that the shifting weather conditions made it difficult to make that decision sooner. Our crews – and the crews of every jurisdiction across the Metro Region – are working hard to clear the roads.

Stay safe out there,

Barbara Donnellan

tumblr_lz1lwc25ox1rnua94o1_500.gif

This is exactly the procedure Frederick Co. schools took and it worked very well. They made the 2-hr late start at 5am and then told everyone that at 7am they would re-evaluate. At 7 on the dot we were all alerted to the closing. 

Did they actually put out some sort of statement last night?  If so, that's perfect.  I think some of the frustration that parents, employees, and even students feel is that there isn't any communication of what the decision makers are thinking as they go about the process.

The weird thing about the AA super's take, and the others who didn't close, was that the real failure was not posting a 2-hour delay and then monitoring. What's so hard about that? Given that snow had started by 6 am most places and was sticking, put in a 2-hour delay and buy yourself some time.

they did the same thing during last years ice storm. huge debacle of not even going 2-hours late before making another call. 

the school system better hope that the kids who were in an accident don't sue 

pretty amazing that DT is crowing about VDOT's mistake in going with NWS forecasting when his own forecast was 50% underdone.

All the forecasts essentially were saying that the rush hour would be band.  WHoever made the decisions was thinking on a normal day, not a day in the low 20s. 

they did the same thing during last years ice storm. huge debacle of not even going 2-hours late before making another call. 

the school system better hope that the kids who were in an accident don't sue 

It is extra frustrating for me because of the accident my brother was in taking my niece to school in Balt City this AM. Totally weather and road conditions related. A two-hour delay would have helped. I just don't get it.

It is extra frustrating for me because of the accident my brother was in taking my niece to school in Balt City this AM. Totally weather and road conditions related. A two-hour delay would have helped. I just don't get it.

I think that is where a lot of the justified criticism comes from.  They easily could have said 2 hour delay and adjusted when they saw more snow would fall and cause worse driving conditions

The bolded part is key. A few inches of snow at 22 is a whole different issue than the same around 32.

And that was my point--- All the big school systems did 2-hr delays all the time for 1-2" at 32 or even 33 F for decades. The 2-hr delay doesn't cost the system a snow-day, and it's a prudent wait-and-see step, so it's always been used liberally. We had a couple last season for less than an inch of snow or traces of ice.

It's not like the school systems had to/should have announced a closing on an iffy 1-2" forecast. Just use the delay and then re-evaluate if need be. The big systems are also more rigid now in "we must decide by 5 am." That contributes to debacles like today and last year (2/26/14 for Montgomery County). Yes, 6 am is late/inconvenient for high school buses, but to me it's better to make a last minute announcement at 5:50 am than for the said buses to get into accidents.

And that was my point--- All the big school systems did 2-hr delays all the time for 1-2" at 32 or even 33 F for decades. The 2-hr delay doesn't cost the system a snow-day, and it's a prudent wait-and-see step, so it's always been used liberally. We had a couple last season for less than an inch of snow or traces of ice.

It's not like the school systems had to/should have announced a closing on an iffy 1-2" forecast. Just use the delay and then re-evaluate if need be. The big systems are also more rigid now in "we must decide by 5 am." That contributes to debacles like today and last year (2/26/14 for Montgomery County). Yes, 6 am is late/inconvenient for high school buses, but to me it's better to make a last minute announcement at 5:50 am than for the said buses to get into accidents.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to create a uniform standard like if a WWA is issued, its an automatic 2 hour delay with a final decision that morning, always erring on the side of caution. A bust on the low side is better than bust on the high side. But I blame a lot of this on the parents in that region last year who did nothing but constantly complain about school delays and closings being too lax. Entire threads were even created on here about it, how people in this region need to "toughen up" or whatever. Well... this is the end result, sadly. Not that I'm defending the school administrators but they were probably worried about the backlash (again) if it busted the other way.

Stay safe out there,

Barbara Donnellan

The good people of Arlington should send Barbara a message: in the form of a subpoena for gross negligence and child endangerment. 

Archived