joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Finale Observations Part 3

Amped

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its kind of interesting how the radar sometimes seems to react to the imaginary lines we create for our cities. I know there's no reasoning behind this, but look at the small 35 DBZ line attempting to enter D.C. here:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=LWX&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

It simply gets destroyed by the D.C. border lol.

I'm not saying it is happening in this case, but a lot of times those lines aren't imaginary. They're there for geographical reasons. And those can definitely play a role.

I'm not saying it is happening in this case, but a lot of times those lines aren't imaginary. They're there for geographical reasons. And those can definitely play a role.

This....at least for major highways, they tend to be built on changes of elevation to aid in runoff...at least thats what I learned in college

Going back to the disco yesterday, notice the instability in srn NJ noted by the hatched area of LIs below 0. That area if instability adjacent to the saturated environment over the DC area will act to steepen lapse rates that may only be moist adiabatic. So, instead of lapse rates of 5.0C/Km or so..they might be more like 6.5C/Km or even steeper. 

post-33-0-24124700-1392337130_thumb.gif

Going back to the disco yesterday, notice the instability in srn NJ noted by the hatched area of LIs below 0. That area if instability adjacent to the saturated environment over the DC area will act to steepen lapse rates that may only be moist adiabatic. So, instead of lapse rates of 5.0C/Km or so..they might be more like 6.5C/Km or even steeper. 

In weenie terms, what does that entail?  Thanks. :weenie:

In weenie terms, what does that entail?  Thanks. :weenie:

It means that a combination of instability and air that is being forced upwards can lead to thundersnow. Have a layer that is a bit unstable and force air upwards into a part of the atmosphere that says "hey..come on up!" will allow for bands of heavy convective snow. Very simplistic, but it gets the point across.

Archived