amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen this mentioned since last night so I thought I would ask.  What are your thoughts on the current water vapor loop.  It looks light the southern system is moving ever so slightly east ne and possibly interacting a little with the northern stream.  There is a little blow up on the the water vapor to the east of where this is occurring.  Was this interaction modeled or is it something new?  Or am I misreading the interaction?

http://climate.cod.edu/flanis/satellite/reg/index.php?type=usa-wv-48

Been watching this all day and if you will notice the out west the ridge has sharpened up in turn I notice numerous pieces of energy get sucked into the Vort. This leads me to believe the the storm goes negative @ some point and the duration is longer. Is this the reason why we keep seeing the models back the moisture back west? But it seems to me that we may be in for something bigger than now modeled and longer in duration. But the truth be know i am just taking a stab at it.

Looks like the 18z Rap increased precip amounts slightly for central NC and SC and filled in that hole in SC, to some degree.

Looks great for the RDU area. Happy that hole is gone. In a situation like this you want everybody to get as much as possible. That way you have some wiggle room. Man this is killing me waiting for the snow. Actually glad I'm at work.

Man that's very encouraging. My ground is almost covered now and as Phil eluded the flake size is creeping up. The rate continues to be moderate and steady!

Absolutely.  These have been more encouraging after every update.  Phil has provided some great guidance on the flake size as well as the radar returns.

Man that's very encouraging. My ground is almost covered now and as Phil eluded the flake size is creeping up. The rate continues to be moderate and steady!

the radar echos around ne ga and the upstate seem to be having spurts of probably moderate snow.  lets hope that keeps expanding a bit lol

just did a measurement (without moderate snow dangit haha) :  .9"

edited to add (hit post too fast :) :

it is and they sure have. was about inch this morning and now 3-4 for a lot of the area

Moderate snow falling in northern pickens county. Our local weatherman are probably going to want to hide after this. NWS just increase d my area between 3-4 and it keeps increasing every few hours. So much for just a few flurries north of I-85.......

Kudos to Robert (Foothills) & Dr. Phil!!!!!

Two of the best mets from around these parts.  Maybe Phil will come back :)

-1 850s creeping into my area of Lexington, SC!  Models had it warmer; so happy!

NWS is on board for 10-14" in ORF.

Hope you guys in NC can cash in on this as well.

I was in Newport News in 1988 and experienced the biggest snow storm in my life (and I grew up in WV).   Went to bed with a forecast of 1 - 3" and woke up with over a foot on the ground.  Did not stop until late afternoon with 18"

Sounds like they are in for another biggie.

I was in Newport News in 1988 and experienced the biggest snow storm in my life (and I grew up in WV).   Went to bed with a forecast of 1 - 3" and woke up with over a foot on the ground.  Did not stop until late afternoon with 18"

Hopefully the high accumulations will creep there way to the southwest!

I remember that clearly.  Went with my aunt to the video store down the street.  Started snowing when we got there.  By the time we left it was already covered in about 3 inches.  That was nuts.

SIAP, but just got back in and waaaaay too many pages to wade through. Has anyone addressed what looks like a nice chunk of energy breaking away from the southern low on WV and joining the northern stream. Currently flooding the southern stream in east Texas. Any thoughts on what that means downstream?

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecwv.html

Looks like the 18z Rap increased precip amounts slightly for central NC and SC and filled in that hole in SC, to some degree.

the 18z on the county map is actually lower and not as expensive with the 7"+ line in Wake County, as the 17z got the 8" line into Northern Wake, but it is higher precip amounts in NE NC with a more expansive 9" area into SE VA.

the 18z on the county map is actually lower and not as expensive with the 7"+ line in Wake County, as the 17z got the 8" line into Northern Wake, but it is higher precip amounts in NE NC with a more expansive 9" area into SE VA.

Thanks Jon.  The 19z is coming in now.  I'll post an image for comparison, when it's done....not that it really matters. :)

19z looks the same as the 18z, still 0.6-0.7", falling back in line with the NAM of 0.4-0.5".  RAH ain't buying with calling for 4-5".

Based on radar returns out west I'm not so sure they won't change their tune.

I think they must like to be conservative and then raise the totals if needed so they can say they didn't cry wolf. If you look at the models and the radar and reports of places in AL getting snow that were not supposed to, then 5 inches would be at the low end for sure.

19z looks the same as the 18z, still 0.6-0.7", falling back in line with the NAM of 0.4-0.5".  RAH ain't buying with calling for 4-5".

Not a good trend for Wake Co...I bet that 0.7" line is out of wake county by 20z run. IDK it's obvious to me the runs are getting drier in Central NC

Archived