joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is where it is actually snowing, ground truth more reliable then the radar where the beam is 4000ft off the ground away from radar site.

Exactly.  You'd think it's sunny here based on the Greer radar returns.  It's pouring down snow and has been for a couple hours.

you seriously think Central NC is going to bust that hard? Our main precip for snow isn't supposed to arrive by 4pm.

I think it's a distinct possibility. The radar to the south and west is anemic and not getting better. Models are cutting back on totals. Temps are warmer than expected, etc. etc. etc. I really think it's entirely reasonable Durham/CH ends up with a half an inch at best somewhere in the late evening.

I think it's a distinct possibility. The radar to the south and west is anemic and not getting better. Models are cutting back on totals. Temps are warmer than expected, etc. etc. etc. I really think it's entirely reasonable Durham/CH ends up with a half an inch at best somewhere in the late evening.

Yep, I don't think your going to get that little, but 1-2", and 2-3" for RDU.  That's not a forecast bust, but I would consider a storm potential bust.  RAH is still going with 2-4 in there latest update so yes, it's not technically a forecast bust. 

Yeah, Durham/CH has huge bust potential...could end up with less than 1" with your close neighbor RDU doing much better. Always seems to be a tight gradient over Wake Co. smack dab in the center of the state, unfortunately. I still think Durham gets >1"

Yeah, Durham/CH has huge bust potential...could end up with less than 1" with your close neighbor RDU doing much better. Always seems to be a tight gradient over Wake Co. smack dab in the center of the state, unfortunately. I still think Durham gets >1"

It just amazes me that points west of here are cashing in from a random band of snow.

We are heading for one of the all time worst busts.  It will literally be snowing in DC before it's snowing here, well I should say if it snows here.  It's trying really hard to not snow in RDU, there is almost a perfect circle around us with a big gaping precip hole coming right for us.  Why did we cancel schools?

you're an amateur if you think this will rank as an all time worst bust. it wouldn't rank in my top 10. that said, it's not going to be a bust. go to your room young man.

Is the precipitation splitting up over the mountains?  Or, is it just too far from the radar beams to show up?

As Phil said, it is a dry slot created by vertical descent from the frontogenetical circulation over the mountains.  Unfortunately, as others have stated, the RAP shows this and essentially the event is "over" for the mountain areas.  As it currently stands, Asheville did NOT reach the one inch barrier today, so the snow drought continues (last 1" of snow was Jan 10, 2011).

The snow in Tennessee is heading northeast and should not be a factor in any additional accumulations over the mountains tonight.

I didn't see this posted.....

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0039
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0345 PM CST TUE JAN 28 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF CNTRL/ERN GA...CNTRL/ERN/SRN SC...ERN
NC

CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION

VALID 282145Z - 290215Z

SUMMARY...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL INCREASE ACROSS THE
PIEDMONT REGION OF NC/SC/GA TO THE COASTAL PLAIN OF THE CAROLINAS
INTO THE EVENING HOURS.

DISCUSSION...WHILE PRECIPITATION IS INCREASING IN COVERAGE ACROSS
THE AREA...MOSAIC RADAR IMAGERY AND SFC OBSERVATIONS INDICATE THAT
THE GREATEST CONCENTRATION OF ONGOING PRECIPITATION EXTENDS FROM
CNTRL GA WSWWD TO COASTAL LA. THIS ACTIVITY LIES WITHIN THE WARM
CONVEYOR BELT OVER THE SRN PERIPHERY OF A BROAD CNTRL/ERN-CONUS
TROUGH...WITH ASCENT BEING ENHANCED AROUND AN IMPULSE CROSSING THE
MID MS VALLEY AS PORTRAYED BY RECENT MOISTURE CHANNEL IMAGERY. AS
THE IMPULSE CONTINUES TO PROGRESS THROUGH THE FLOW AROUND THE
TROUGH...STRONGER FRONTOGENETIC ASCENT WILL SPREAD ENEWD ACROSS THE
MCD AREA WHILE MODEST SFC CYCLOGENESIS OFF THE COAST ENHANCES WARM
ADVECTION ACROSS THE COASTAL PLAIN. THESE FACTORS WILL SUPPORT AN
INCREASE IN THE COVERAGE/INTENSITY OF PRECIPITATION INTO THE EVENING
HOURS...WITH LIQUID-EQUIVALENT RATES 0.02-0.05 INCH PER HOUR
POSSIBLE.

SFC TEMPERATURES REMAIN ABOVE FREEZING FROM PARTS OF CNTRL SC TO
CNTRL GA...THOUGH SUB-CLOUD EVAPORATIVE COOLING AND MODEST SFC COLD
ADVECTION SHOULD ALLOW SFC TEMPERATURES TO FALL BELOW 32F DURING THE
NEXT FEW HOURS AND SUPPORT MIXED WINTER PRECIPITATION IN MOST
LOCATIONS. THE TIGHT LOW-LEVEL BAROCLINIC ZONE WILL BREED A NARROW
TRANSITION ZONE FROM FREEZING RAIN TO SLEET TO SNOW. THE 18Z RAOBS
AT MHX AND CHS HIGHLIGHT A 2.5-6C ELEVATED WARM LAYER CAPABLE OF
COMPLETE MELTING OF DESCENDING HYDROMETEORS. INCREASING WAA ALOFT
SHOULD MAINTAIN THE ELEVATED WARM LAYER NEAR THE COASTAL PLAIN OF
THE CAROLINAS...YIELDING A HIGHER PROBABILITY OF FREEZING RAIN.
FARTHER INLAND TOWARD THE PIEDMONT FROM CNTRL GA INTO SC AND
NC...FREEZING RAIN WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE. HOWEVER...A COOLER PROFILE
ALOFT WILL MORE LIKELY SUPPORT SLEET...AND PERHAPS SNOW OVER THE
NWRN EDGE OF THE PRECIPITATION SHIELD.

..COHEN.. 01/28/2014

ATTN...WFO...AKQ...MHX...RAH...ILM...CHS...CAE...FFC...

Thanks Tracker! Looks like we need to eek out all we can then down here in the lee side.

As Phil said, it is a dry slot created by vertical descent from the frontogenetical circulation over the mountains.  Unfortunately, as others have stated, the RAP shows this and essentially the event is "over" for the mountain areas.  As it currently stands, Asheville did NOT reach the one inch barrier today, so the snow drought continues (last 1" of snow was Jan 10, 2011).

The snow in Tennessee is heading northeast and should not be a factor in any additional accumulations over the mountains tonight.

Looks the radar is starting to fill in now for all the cliff divers in RDU(I admit I too was looking at the cliff). The 18z models still look to have around .5 at RDU. Everything is still on. There will probably be a big decrease as you go north and west of RDU but still it should .3 back towards Hillsboro/Chapel Hill. Now if we can get those numbers maybe tonight we could add some higher ratios (15:1??) and still get a nice event.

Archived