• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

Radar looks very good for folks in central NC and RDU. Keep looking at the radar probably pointless to look at models right now. You can see that moisture is starting to get thrown back into ENC. It won't be long now. Look at the radar I'm hoping I can stay on the right side of the edge of this thing. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15:1 is about right. Its been powder falling easly blown around by the wind.

I've seen up to 17:1 on output from KFAY but 12-14:1 is most likely...higher ratios probably in Harnett Co than in Wake, or so I've noticed.

15:1 is about right. Its been powder falling easly blown around by the wind.

I think at this point we should stop looking at the models and start looking at the radar returns. Looks like it is filling in nice to our SE. Nothing great at this point but there is now good coverage where there was none just an hour back.  

The models aren't showing good coverage till later tonight as the upper level jet streak and mid level energy inches closer.  With that said it's going to be a sharp cut off and painful for some.  I'm thinking the cut off will be about a mile east of Widreman's house.

Radar looks very good for folks in central NC and RDU. Keep looking at the radar probably pointless to look at models right now. You can see that moisture is starting to get thrown back into ENC. It won't be long now. Look at the radar I'm hoping I can stay on the right side of the edge of this thing. 

It doesn't look like the heavy precip shield will be able to back fill enough to reach the I-85 corridor per the radar and recent model runs (which may be worthless). I'm thinking these initial bands, that appear to be breaking up, will account for the metro area's totals.The most recent 2.9 I've seen from GSP seems a little overdone for the city. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Do you have a good long duration radar link? Maybe smthg that shows precip starting from noon to now?

Precip starting to pivot in foothills and piedmont; band on back edge really juiced- next few hours look pretty interesting along 85

What radar loop are you looking at? I'm not seeing the heavy rates coming this way, but may be missing something. Also, is the thinking that it's pretty much game over once the back end nears and passes the 85 corridor? Seems as though there's been some back-filling over the ATL metro over the past couple hours.

What radar loop are you looking at? I'm not seeing the heavy rates coming this way, but may be missing something. Also, is the thinking that it's pretty much game over once the back end nears and passes the 85 corridor? Seems as though there's been some back-filling over the ATL metro over the past couple hours.

Composite on NOAA- looks like it might be back-filling and re-orienting as it pulls moisture in from the coast. There seems to be more back-filling going on towards ATL- I think the area east of 85 will benefit from this the most

Be warned -- pretty big precip bust in the panhandle -- models insisted .5 to 1.0 of precip, but it looks like just .2 in FWB and surrounding areas.

Looks like everything is moving NE, but maybe some small help from a diffuse little piece of energy in the gulf tomorrow (????).

The event isn't over yet.  All of the precip to the NW is going to slide south overnight.

HRRR shows the precip to the NW sliding out the NE without sinking south toward the Panhandle/coast.  Any further precip. is likely going to be farther east tomorrow am-afternoon with that secondary impulse that ~30% of ensembles are showing could drop a brief bit of snow along an Apalachicola-Tallahassee-Valdosta (or slightly SE therefrom) line.

Just looking at the current radar mosaic, short range model depictions and best omega. Definitely thing the best snow is going to be along and east of HWY 1. Hopefully the area over central Ga/SC will lift more NNE instead of NE and then areas back to Chapel Hill, Burlington, Durham could get in the heavy band for a while.

Still like 8-10 from areas northeast of Raleigh to Norfolk. Think probably more like 4-6 for eastern Wake County east of US-1, more like 2-4 west of US-1.

We shall see.

Archived